Can´t find great differences between Ek 64T & Ek 100D 5

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

For negatives, give them the amazing Vision2 100t (drop 200t if needed and keep 500t as a distinct choice). Please!
Absolutley. when shooting in low light or tungston, the 500T is the choice stock, where the 200T doesn't have quite enough speed desired in those conditions and is used more in daylight.. where the 100T would be more useful and desired.
100D and Vision 3 please
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

LastQuark wrote:Why 100D? This is a totally different animal and older technology.

Why not the E100VS based stock like the 100EB, E100G, or E100GX which have finer grain than K40 from the technical spec? (RMS 8 vs RMS 9?)

Am I missing something?

The E100D (7285) is already certified for motion-picture use, and in use for both 16mm and 35mm motion-pictures:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/produ ... .6.4&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/produ ... .4.4&lc=en

Can't promise BOTH E100D and E64T, but if we misread which of the two would best meet customer needs, that can be reconsidered.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Can't promise BOTH E100D and E64T, but if we misread which of the two would best meet customer needs, that can be reconsidered.
Which of the two have the finer grain structure?
100D and Vision 3 please
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

John_Pytlak wrote: Can't promise BOTH E100D and E64T, but if we misread which of the two would best meet customer needs, that can be reconsidered.
Hi, John!

I think the needs of the Super 8 community are actually pretty simple. They want the finest grain film stock they can get, be it tungsten or daylight. I don't think anyone here has a problem with using a filter or bypassing the notches to set the ASA manually but they all have a problem with grain that is too big. After all, you are replacing K40, so it's a pretty tall order for any Ektachrome reversal.

Roger
http://www.moviestuff.tv
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

John_Pytlak wrote:The E100D (7285) is already certified for motion-picture use, and in use for both 16mm and 35mm motion-pictures:
John_Pytlak wrote:Can't promise BOTH E100D and E64T, but if we misread which of the two would best meet customer needs, that can be reconsidered.
Given the choice between the two, I am sure most people here will go with E64T primarily because it is the same tungsten balanced film as K40 and there will be no additional investment in lens filters.

However, John, I am having a hard time searching for information in google and Kodak's website that E64T is a motion picture certified film also. I can be wrong but I am curious what makes a film motion picture certified?

If there is an answer to all the anxieties around, it seems to me that the majority here will compromise to the E100VS based stock. It has the finest grain Kodak has made as far as I am aware of. We can do a poll here later on to confirm.

Please make us your guinea pig. Is it possible to run a batch in super 8 for this stock we can try? I'm sure most of us here will be willing to pay more than your cost if this is possible.

Thank you for dropping by and hearing us. You are the last link we have with Kodak.

Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

LastQuark wrote: If there is an answer to all the anxieties around, it seems to me that the majority here will compromise to the E100VS based stock. It has the finest grain Kodak has made as far as I am aware of. We can do a poll here later on to confirm.
E100VS is a "Very Saturated" color slide film from the new E-family. Isn´t the finest grain film stock. RMS= 11.

Maybe did you mean E100G or E100GX. RMS=8.

If I could to choose now, my vote goes to Ektachrome E100G, BUT ONLY if Kodak guarantees the releasing of a new T-grain-High Speed-Tungsten Balanced-Color reversal MP film in term of one year.

Being realistic, between Ektachrome 100D 5285 and Ektachrome 64T 7280, my vote goes to 64T, hoping an inprovement of this fim stock (Using T-Grain tech.) in term of one year.

John, can you interyield by Us? We´ll be very grateful.

Carlos.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

Carlos 8mm wrote:E100VS is a "Very Saturated" color slide film from the new E-family. Isn´t the finest grain film stock. RMS= 11.

Maybe did you mean E100G or E100GX. RMS=8.
Yes, E100G that is. It is based on the E100VS technology but with finer grain.
Carlos 8mm wrote:If I could to choose now, my vote goes to Ektachrome E100G, BUT ONLY if Kodak guarantees the releasing of a new T-grain-High Speed-Tungsten Balanced-Color reversal MP film in term of one year.
Why the additional tungsten demand? There is the E200G that you can push process up to 800ASA!

John_Pytlak

RMS Granularity

Post by John_Pytlak »

Please don't dwell on small differences in the RMS Granularity number, which is measured at only one density level. When Kodak evaluates a film, a full "granularity curve" is normally used, that measures the grain structure over the full range of densities, and not just a single point. And granularity is only ONE characteristic of a film. There are many other characteristics that go into choosing which film is best for an application like Super-8.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

John Pytlak: "There are many other characteristics that go into choosing which film is best for an application like Super-8.''

Such as film thickness.

Although it is evident that many of us share differences of opinions, the majority of us agree that one of the most outstanding characteristics of Kodachrome 40 was it's exceptionally fine grain structure. Therefore, I think that this would be one of the most important characteristics to consider in regards to a suitable replacement stock, in relation with other characteristics.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

Well john,

Thank you for your support in the super 8 community.

1. You mention that there were a lot of other considerations when chosing film stocks for super 8. What exactly were the considerations that Kodak had chosen this film stock for?

2. What was it that they tested/compared that is specific to help zone in on ektachrome 64t as being the stock of choice?

3. Myself and many others would be very interested to find out. Also we may be able to provide more practical feedback about why we may agree/disagree with said choices.

4. Is there no examples from _all_ the testing that has been done to show the resolving power of the stocks that were tested??

looking to the future,

jusetan
reflex

Post by reflex »

LastQuark wrote:Given the choice between the two, I am sure most people here will go with E64T primarily because it is the same tungsten balanced film as K40 and there will be no additional investment in lens filters. 
No lens filter? Hmm. That comment pointed out a flaw in Kodak's thinking.

I understand the logic in replacing a tungsten balanced stock with another tungsten stock of similar speed. It makes sense. Everyone familiar with K40 knows when to use the filter key. But to replace K40 (balanced for 3400K tungsten lights) with 64T (3200K) is asking for subtle trouble.

How many casual users will know that the "85" filter in their camera isn't the "85B" filter required to properly balance the new stock?

I suspect many traditional users of K40 (I'm thinking of Juergen's readership of German senior citizens) may well assume that the 85A filter built into their camera is the correct "85." Und dann... They will tell friends that the new film feels cold and sterile, when the problem is incorrect filtering.

Gimme the sharpest 100D you can offer, Kodak. I'm sure I can find that filter key lying in the bottom of my shooting bag somewhere...
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

How many casual users will know that the "85" filter in their camera isn't the "85B" filter required to properly balance the new stock?
Kodak does list the 85B filter for 64T. Not any different then the 7240.
And granularity is only ONE characteristic of a film.
True, there are many other qualities about E-6 reversals that far outway a slight increase of grain. I think we're in for a real treat :P
100D and Vision 3 please
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

Okay People, time to vote!
Carlos.
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

John_Pytlak wrote:
Well both would keep more people happy :wink: but for me E100D would be more desirable. I'm not too fussed about most of the arguments for and against particular stocks that are going on. Kodak will come to a conclusion about what to supply and I will have to live with that but a faster film (reversal) than Kodachrome would simply mean that I can shoot the whole year round and thus more film overall. As winter approaches in the UK there just isn't enough light to shoot outdoors and my camera has to hibernate until the spring. :(
I find that frustrating because with my SLR I just buy a faster film and carry on shooting.
Stevie
mattias

Re: Can´t find great differences between Ek 64T & Ek 10

Post by mattias »

MovieStuff wrote:
mattias wrote: this is obviously an artifact from the days when 40 asa was medium speed and the high speed 100 asa stocks were grainy as hell...
So apparently you do understand the thinking behind low speed tungsten stock, after all! ;)
no. i understand the thinking behind a low speed stock. not a tungsten one.

/matt