Double Super 8 (DS8) situation

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Cinepugno

Double Super 8 (DS8) situation

Post by Cinepugno »

I'm trying to make a point on the current situation of Double Super 8.

1) What is the best camera? What is the best for quality/price? Taking into account the possibility of reels of 100 feet and small.

2) All Super 8 projectors, sound and mute, are fully compatible with the Double Super 8, cut and developed?

3) Currently, what films are available? Fomapan (in various lengths) and Cinevia?

Thanks.
nikonr10

Re: Double Super 8 (DS8) situation

Post by nikonr10 »

First of all what do you want it for ? and what are your need's , check past post's on forum , As for film stock check wittner ,

All the questions you have ask can be found with a little google reseach ,
Cinepugno

Post by Cinepugno »

At Wittner remained only the Fompan meterware, no longer has the Fomapam 10 meter, 30 meter and does not have the Velvia 50D. On film stock you're wrong totally.
On any site, including here on the forum, it's said that there is full compatibility with the Super 8 both projectors, sound and silent, no assurance in this regard.
On any site which is said to be the best choices regarding the DS8 cameras, but it speaks only of the existence of Pathé, the Canon, etc.
They are legitimate questions.
What did you say to do?
Make write to those who are more competent than you and has more patience.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Cinepugno wrote:At Wittner remained only the Fompan meterware, no longer has the Fomapam 10 meter, 30 meter and does not have the Velvia 50D. On film stock you're wrong totally.
On any site, including here on the forum, it's said that there is full compatibility with the Super 8 both projectors, sound and silent, no assurance in this regard.
On any site which is said to be the best choices regarding the DS8 cameras, but it speaks only of the existence of Pathé, the Canon, etc.
They are legitimate questions.
What did you say to do?
Make write to those who are more competent than you and has more patience.
I think you have found the answers to your questions ? I had a chance to get a Canon Ds 8 at a good price but did not / being a lack of film stock etc
Cinepugno

Post by Cinepugno »

No, I found no answer, because research on the web I had already made​​ pre open-thread, no fine for my three questions. Only on the third I think I have a bit 'of certainty.
Okay, you've had a chance to take a Canon and you have not taken, because lacks the film, which is not true, because even the Fompan is constant, even with the DS8, compared to the regular 8 and 16 mm. Thank you for the help!
If there is someone else ...
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Cinepugno wrote:I'm trying to make a point on the current situation of Double Super 8.

1) What is the best camera? What is the best for quality/price? Taking into account the possibility of reels of 100 feet and small.

2) All Super 8 projectors, sound and mute, are fully compatible with the Double Super 8, cut and developed?

3) Currently, what films are available? Fomapan (in various lengths) and Cinevia?

Thanks.
The Canon Scoopic is a very nice DS8 camera and is probably the easiest to find. But i would not say the same for film stocks. You're pretty limited to the Foma B&W. The Cinvea would be great but the supply seems very limited and expensive. I sold my Scoopic when 100D was discontinued and would not advise investing in DS8 at this time. A much better but more expensive alternative is the new Logmar super 8 camera coming out, and there will be a 200ft magazine accessory. Pro8mm said they will stock 200ft spools of all the negatives, others may too.

"All the questions you have ask can be found with a little google reseach"
Nothing wrong with a little conversation on the board, it's more than an alternative to empty google searches.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
freddenacka

Post by freddenacka »

unsanity

Post by unsanity »

I have three DS8 cameras, a Canon DS8, Pathe BTL DS8 and a Quarz 2x8S-3. The Canon and Pathe are super good but big and heavy. The Russian Quarz 2x8S-3 is the one I use the most when wandering about. They are metal and very solid although I have managed to smash two. I have bought a third, they have all been very good and cheap. They use 10 meter spools.
I buy the Russian versions from the Ukraine, the exposure meter goes to 200 ASA instead of the export models that only go to 160 ASA.
I use Foma film, recently bought from https://www.fomafoto.com/.
All very good.

Julian.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

Having owned a Canon DS8 and currently a Bolex H8 DS8, the Bolex gives much sharper images with better contrast than the Canon (canon lens, 1960s zoom technology). As for colour stock, nothing at present, previous experience with wittner and gk ds8 50d was poor, very bad registration due to poor quality control of the perforations.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Cinepugno wrote:I'm trying to make a point on the current situation of Double Super 8.

Thanks.
Tscan wrote:

Thanks.
The Canon Scoopic is a very nice DS8 camera and is probably the easiest to find. But i would not say the same for film stocks. You're pretty limited to the Foma B&W. The Cinvea would be great but the supply seems very limited and expensive. I sold my Scoopic when 100D was discontinued and would not advise investing in DS8 at this time. A much better but more expensive alternative is the new Logmar super 8 camera coming out, and there will be a 200ft magazine accessory. Pro8mm said they will stock 200ft spools of all the negatives, others may too.

"All the questions you have ask can be found with a little google reseach"
Nothing wrong with a little conversation on the board, it's more than an alternative to empty google searches.
cinepugno at least do you reseach into what it is that you are looking for? before throwing it to the forum! then that way you know what you are talking about ?
fomapan is not a film for me as there problems with the bleach in diy home cooking , and not much other film stock outthere , so geting a canon at the time was waste of bucks , use it on stocking up on a 100d .
pip

Post by pip »

I'm not sure the original points raised have been replied to. I think I can answer point 2 by saying that all DS8 stock will project exactly the same as cartridge super 8 stock, provided of course that the DS8 stock has been corrected perforated. Personally, I cannot answer the other points. I would not myself use DS8 because: there is less stock available; the quality control over the perforation of the stock may be lower than with cartridge based stock; there are fewer cameras available to chose from - Pathe, Quartz, Bolex, Elmo tri-filmatic?; the cameras are all relatively heavy; I cannot usually see any instability in the image by using a cartridge based film gate.
Cinepugno

Post by Cinepugno »

I really would like Pathé DS8 camera, but they are really too expensive. Of Bolex H series I already have the regular 8 version, which is excellent as we know, but I would have a different model.
The Canon Scoopic not cheap, but it's available and I like the shape of it, I put it in the list of possible purchase, but the Quarz DS8 cameras (DS zoom, 2x8s Quarz-SH, Quarz 2x8S-3 etc. thank at unsanity for Asa and soviet model advice!) are cheap and very available, if I can do without the 30 meter spools and use only those 10 meters (because GK film is expensive and I was thinking more quality) might be a fair purchase. Or maybe I'll look around anymore, says tscan,I don't know.
Super8data also reports the Quarz 10 as a model in DS8, but I could not figure out what it is. Do you know it?
Yeah, also Kahl have DS8.
Thank you all, it is precisely the information I was looking for; direct experiences.

EDIT: nikonr10, I still have not figured out what you want. Users have given me the advice I was looking for (also for direct experience, owning the machines mentioned), I got an idea and I'm doing more and more clear, probably soon decide whether and which machine to buy. I really like the Fomapan emulsion, I use it in Regular 8 and Super 8, I have always been satisfied.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

I've got a couple of Bolex DS8 conversions that I like a lot, although I've not used either in a while. Because I have other Bolex H series cameras in regular 8mm, UltraPan8, 16mm, and Super 16 formats, I've got a lot of accessories - matte boxes, rod supports, motors, lenses, and so on - making the Bolex conversions the most practical choice. Even without the added accessories, these cameras are reasonably versatile. They're fairly robust as well although, admittedly, they're heavy and not as nice ergonomically as the Canon DS8 camera (I've mounted the cameras on a tripod almost always, so ergonomics is of little importance to me).

Any Super 8 projector should work.

I've got hundred foot rolls of Ektachrome 100D DS8 film in the freezer; I'm not sure what I'll be able to get once that's gone.
Last edited by sciolist on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

[delete]