Bolex P4 light meter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

Bolex P4 light meter

Post by gaugefilm »

Just purchased a Bolex standard 8 P4. I need PX1 batteries for the light meter (which don't exist) but read that you can use L50's (or something like that) which are 1.5's (not 1.35v). They should still work though and it's nice to know I can get something that'll work.

For the time being however I wondered if I can use the manual meter without batteries. A lot of the the Super 8 Nizo's I sell need batteries for the manual light meter as well as the automatic meter. Is this the case for the Bolex P4? I hope it's not but I though it was best to check before I go running film through it.

Best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
kII

Re: Bolex P4 light meter

Post by kII »

you can purchase a dummy battery which reduces the voltage to the cameras lightmeter http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/ ... alogue.htm

The adapters are quite pricey but allows you to use 1.5v batterys without risk of damage to the cameras lightmeter circuit.

If the camera test film is a little jumpy, treat the rubber roller under the gate. The roller should at as a kind of break to the film transport, over time the roller becomes smooth. The advice i was given was to treat the rubber with lighter fuel to soften the rubber, and yes it actually worked!!!
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Yes indeed I had spotted the adapter to lower the voltage, pretty cool little thing.

Any idea if I can use it without the light meter batteries all together though? I'm just curious?

Thanks for the tip with the lighter fluid. That will definitely come in handy!

Best
Kev
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

I'm pretty sure you don't need the battery to manually adjust the aperture, when you turn the knob above the lens it disconnects the auto-iris and mechanically opens it. You should see the f stop numbers changing in the viewfinder. That's how it works on the S1 I have, which is very similar to the P4.
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Thats magic! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I can go and play with it now.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help!
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
GBM

Post by GBM »

I am in the process of making an adapter to use the correct voltage batteries in my Bolex P4.
If you take a standard half inch copper pipe for the outside dimension... it is the perfect diameter to fit the plastic battery holder... this would be simpler if the electrical connection were at the bottom of that holder like a flashlight.. but it is at the side... so the diameter is very important.. it must push on that side connector . Then you can split that same size copper pipe lengthwise and put it into the inside of the first one to center the smaller batteries... the Wein I think... available from Ebay.
This inside tube can double as the depth determiner for the much shorter batteries by folding over a tab at the bottom... but there is some leeway since the upper battery connection is a spring. You will want to solder it inside the other pipe after determining it is the proper distance. Will post specs and pics when I finish.... but it is pretty straight forward since the size of the pipe starts out exactly correct.
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

This says fully automatic with manual override so you could just use a light meter or sunny sixteen rule

http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/p4.html
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I also own and use a P4 and this is what I've done to compensate when using the modern PX1 1.5V batteries. On the ASA dial instead of using say the 100ASA for Ektachrome 100D I turned the dial so it reads 40ASA. You probably could also use the setting at 50ASA. At 40ASA I've found the images are nice and bright and exposure is perfect. So that is another way to get around the problem of using the 1.5V batteries.
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Great stuff, it's nice to know there are a few ways around the problem!

Just waiting for my film to arrive now. I'll report back with the results after I have developed them.

Best
Kev
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

So this is how it turned out, everything done manually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1-oh-U ... ature=plcp
www.gaugefilm.co.uk