Walmart ceases Super 8 processing

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nickrapak

Walmart ceases Super 8 processing

Post by nickrapak »

I just got off the phone with Fuji Labs (the send-out courier for Walmart), and they have informed me that effective last week, they no longer offer processing services for 8mm and Super 8 films. Despite some of you that are morally opposed to Walmart, this was the easiest and cheapest way to get people involved in Super 8, since you could get a roll of E100D and have it developed for about $20. Now, the cheapest option for developing is $12, meaning that with shipping back and forth, a roll with developing costs about $35, a 75% increase. I know that I will be shooting a lot less now, as I just don't have the ability to spend an additional $7 a roll for the amount I shoot.
BigWorm

Re: Walmart ceases Super 8 processing

Post by BigWorm »

I guess I'm confused. Fuji didn't do the processing but instead sent it on to Dwayne's in KS. Were you made aware because Walmart/Fuji refused to process your Super 8 film? Also, where are you located?
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

I am located in the Philadelphia area, and the film went to Fuji in NC for transfer to Dwayne's. Walmart refused to process the film, and I was given an official Fuji notice that said that the film was refused because it is an unsupported format. I called Fuji this afternoon and talked with the customer service director who informed me that they recently stopped processing "certain types" of film, which included Super 8 and 8mm film. I have a feeling that the contract was up with Dwayne's, and they either renegotiated or just completely terminated the contract.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

A confirmation from Dwayne's would also help. Email krystal and she will get back to you on this. She is always very helpful. I email my film orders to her all the time, and she responds pretty quickly. I use to mail the order forms but then I asked her if I could just email the order, and then receive a paypal back from them, and she said yes. Makes ordering so much easier.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Krystal at Dwayne's confirms that they no longer contract with Fuji and that is unlikely to change. Another nail in the coffin. I will shoot less S8. Dropping film off at Walmart or Rite-Aid was just darn convenient. Mailing to Dwayne's adds another $6 to $10 to cost and adds a trip to Post office.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

mr8mm wrote:Krystal at Dwayne's confirms that they no longer contract with Fuji and that is unlikely to change. Another nail in the coffin. I will shoot less S8. Dropping film off at Walmart or Rite-Aid was just darn convenient. Mailing to Dwayne's adds another $6 to $10 to cost and adds a trip to Post office.
Like you I use to drop my films off at Walmart, but that was a few years ago. I decided it was time to support small business. Sometimes we just have to do what's right. I would much rather help Dwayne's stay in business, than support a corporate-driven retail store like Walmart. If we all felt that way then movie film would die out pretty quickly. I feel good when going to the post office. I have been emailing my orders to Krystal and she sends back a paypal order. So that's one less trip to the post office. Something to think about if you haven't tried this approach.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I disagree about Walmart processing. Actually the film dropped off at walmart was sent to Dwayne's. It does not help Dwayne's to lose the Walmart business. Most do not like standing in long lines at the Post Office. I do not understand even with email payment how you get the film package to Dwayne's without going to the Post Office to mail to Dwayne's. I guess you can use FEDEX or UPS at an even higher cost to ship your package.

J. S.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I do use the post office for mailing my packages. I use email when ordering, and Dwayne's sends me a paypal statement. I used that as an example because it's one less trip to the post office. I understand your point about Walmart, but I bet if we were to do a survey you would find most people just mail their film instead of using Walmart. So really in the end I think people who truly like to shoot movie film will continue to do so.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I only used Walmart a few times, choosing now to send reversal to Dwaynes (along with medium format still film). Just pick up a few padded envelopes and print out address labels for Dwaynes. Then either do postage online or buy stamps. It is really easy and the Paypal payment option is great. Having a little postal scale is nice and inexpensive.

Dwaynes should do an online store for selling stock with Shopify or something however. I love using Kodak's new online store for stocks.

Yes it is a little more expensive, but whoever shoots Super 8 or Regular 8 because it's cheap? What is it, maybe $10 more for a couple cartridges every few months? Sounds like a deal to me. If you shoot more you'd get a savings in postage probably.

On a processing side note: while I'm still a supporter of Pro8mm's stocks, I've noticed repeated issues with their processing. I think my negative film is going to Alpha labs in Seattle exclusively. They've been consistently excellent even before they bought/merged with Forde labs.
MitchPerkins

Post by MitchPerkins »

It's too bad they stopped offering this service - clearly it was well used by some folks.

OTH, I do wish they would stop offering the film transfer service, which sends precious footage off to the local satanic mill known as "Yes Video" to be pushed through with little or no personal care/attention.

It's not just that we're in competition - I really do think it's a shame...and yes I have seen the results...

Mitch
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

Will2 wrote:Yes it is a little more expensive, but whoever shoots Super 8 or Regular 8 because it's cheap? What is it, maybe $10 more for a couple cartridges every few months? Sounds like a deal to me. If you shoot more you'd get a savings in postage probably.
I calculated it out, and for the first cartridge, it is $14.08 more. Of course, shipping costs do decrease the more you send, so at 10 rolls, you're only paying $9.43 extra per roll. For me, living on a college student's income, i.e. none, that $9.43 is one less roll that I can get processed, and therefore one less roll that I will shoot. On the plus side, I just got a Lomo 8mm slitter, so I'll probably shoot a lot more regular 8, processed at 16mm prices.

Here's a total cost price comparison: Image

Here's a per-cart cost comparison:Image
Will2

Post by Will2 »

For me, living on a college student's income, i.e. none...
You get an "A" for your charts. Good work. :D
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Actually this post should be titled " Fuji ceases offering Super 8 processing". Because the film could be dropped off at any store that had Fuji pick up service. If you hate Walmart, you could still drop off your film at Rite Aid for example or any other Fuji drop off location. The film was picked up by a courier sent to Greenwood then sent to Dwayne's then back to you by the same route. I am sure this hardly paid off for all concerned due to low volume and that is why the service was terminated.
J.S.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

Hope is is okay to just open up an old thread but...Has anyone found any solution to this? Is there anywhere else with a less expensive processing option than sending direct? Dwayne's $4.50 shipping is a little much in my opinion.....
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Moving to Parsons, Kansas would be the best route.

I actually just talked to Dwayne's and they say they have no agreements with any companies for such an arrangement as Walmart used to have.

I'm guessing that Target no longer has that service as well.

Have you tried a photo shop like Ritz camera?