Bolex C8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Superbus_

Bolex C8

Post by Superbus_ »

I've just bought a Bolex paillard C8 camera. I'm just getting involved in standard 8mm filming and it is so ridiculos, that from 60 years ago this camera is the same size than the newest digital video equipment... I also realised that it was made primarly for women.

So, these are my first impressions, anyone using recently this type?
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
StoneBuilder

Re: Bolex C8

Post by StoneBuilder »

Yes, I've been using these cameras for the last couple of years. Very solid, completely reliable, steady sharp image. Plenty about, for spare parts. A bit like a VW Beetle, maybe. Someone might know how to match serial numbers with the year of manufacture, but I've not seen that yet.
71er

Post by 71er »

Hi StoneBuilder, try this site: /www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/c8.html
I hope I could help you!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
marc

Post by marc »

It's a great little camera! So much film making power in such a small package. Talk about stealth! And Bolex was and is the best quality in precision machine/ mechanical craftsmanship. Go to the site, Bolex Collector, and read some of the articles that movie making magazines printed over the years about the manufacturing plant in St. Croix. One article talks about their quality control and reveals many secrets to their success. Bolex has always been the "Rolls Royce" of cameras in their particular class!
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Superbus_ wrote: anyone using recently this type?
I use regularly a Bolex B8 which is very similar to yours. It's a fantastic and pocket size camera.
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Yes, my impression was the same when it came to me: what a great pocket camera. After winding up I realised how precise this machine. I can't wait to see the results but before filming I want the lens to be cleaned by a professional altough the lens are not so bad but I want to have a camera in excellent condition for my filming purposes.

marc

Post by marc »

It might be cheaper just to buy a lens in top notch condition. I would imagine that it would be quite expensive to have a lens taken apart and cleaned.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

marc wrote:It might be cheaper just to buy a lens in top notch condition. I would imagine that it would be quite expensive to have a lens taken apart and cleaned.
Fair point. I've got a Bolex B8 (very similar to C8) and bought two additional lenses for GBP25 - to be precise: one f2.8/36mm Kern-Paillard tele lens and one f2.5/6.5mm Dallmeyer wide angle lens. On the other hand, if cleaning the lens extends its lifespan by a couple of decades or so, it'd still be a worthwhile investment.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll have much fun with the Bolex C8.
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Probably you are right, but I'm going to visit my repairman with other cameras for example a black yashica professional rangefinder (just think about this is kind of a real amateaur camera especially because of they have written on it: "professional" :) ) and a few other ones, so i just going to ask the price of lens cleaning too for my bolex c8.