Best Editing Filetype?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Dr Smith

Post by Dr Smith »

mattias wrote: [...]yes, that's exactly the question. uncompressed (apple, blackmagic) or dv compressed avi or mov is what you want.
/matt
If I had say twenty minutes of footage with which to make a 5-10 minute short. What is the minimum computer spec you would recommend working with, in terms of processor speed and hard drive capacity, if editing uncompressed black magic? I'm guessing uncompressed will be considerably larger than an avi.

Thank you to everyone for the advice so far by the way.
Darren R Smith
Dr Smith

Post by Dr Smith »

Double post.
Darren R Smith
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

You can have uncompressed AVIs as well as compressed but yes, they tend to be at least 4 times larger than the compressed versions. But again, don't overlook HuffYUV which is a very good lossless codec that gives you about 4:1 compression. This is a good intermediary codec I use all the time.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

I wouldn't get bogged down with attempting your film in uncompressed space using a niche codec. Just use MiniDv tape, it is fine for working with super-8. The camera and quality of telecine are what makes the difference.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Dr Smith wrote:If I had say twenty minutes of footage with which to make a 5-10 minute short. What is the minimum computer spec you would recommend working with
20 minutes uncompressed is maybe 30 gb, plus render files so 80 gb of hard drive space would be the minimum, preferably raid but any fast hard drive will do. i edit uncompressed on a 1.2ghz g4 so any computer less than three years old will probably be fine. if you want to use realtime effects a bit more is nice, and a raid probably necessary. on the mac you can software raid two firewire drives, which works well. don't know about pc's. software raids are less reliable so i wouldn't use them for anything but scratch disks while editing, with a long term backup someplace else.
I'm guessing uncompressed will be considerably larger than an avi.
that's like saying that an audi is bigger than a car. you're mixing up file formats with codecs. you can have uncompressed avi's as well as dv compressed avi's, or mpeg-4, or whatever. blackmagic avi's are 6 times as big as dv compressed ones.

/matt
mattias

Post by mattias »

npcoombs wrote:I wouldn't get bogged down with attempting your film in uncompressed space using a niche codec.
blackmagic and apple uncompressed are industry standard codecs, so that shouldn't present a problem. all post houses in the entire world will be able to handle those files. i agree about huffyuv though. i would only use it for intermediates, not for telecine or delivery.
Just use MiniDv tape, it is fine for working with super-8. The camera and quality of telecine are what makes the difference.
actually i thought so too until recently. kent has a monitor hooked up via component (or sdi?) to his flashscan and there's definitely a difference between the raw output and what you get on tape. the dv codec really increases the grain, which is ony natural since grain is very hard to compress for dct schemes, which results in mosquito noise. it's not a major problem, so i still recommend dv, but while dv is perfectly fine for 16 and 35mm meant for tv delivery, as long as you don't need to do a lot of color correction, the grainer your source the more artifacts you get.

the main benefit of tape is it's "archival quality". if you just burn your project file and edl on a cd and store with the source tape you have an incredibly cheap backup that will last for years, not forever but much longer than your hard drive for sure.

/matt