Will my film be degraded?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

wado1942 wrote: I shot my wedding on a pro portrait film
Even at your wedding were you camera in hand? 8)
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

wado1942 wrote:Now wait a minute, there's VERY DEFINITELY a difference between pro grade portrait films and consumer films.
I have no doubt that there are "pro" stocks that are not shipped under the consumer lable. I was speaking about the older VPS stock and my conversations with a Kodak engineer several decades ago. At that time I was told that the S pro negs and the consumer negs were, for all practical purposes, the very same stock and that, if left unrefrigerated for 6 months or so, the pro stocks would degrade down to consumer level. More than hear-say as I have found this to be true through practical experience, even with more recent professional stocks. If you leave them unrefrigerated on the shelf for about 6 months, they lose much of their contrast and some of their sensitivity and perform basically the same as consumer neg stocks. So to what degree that the negative is really made significantly differently is anyone's guess, but my experience has shown them to be the same if stored at room temp.

Roger
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I was speaking about the older VPS stock and my conversations with a Kodak engineer several decades ago
I can certainly believe that. I just wanted to note that there ARE purely pro stocks which are formulated differently from consumer grades.

Oh, and no I did not photograph my own wedding, though I DID play some music. But I scouted the location, took light readings and bought the film. I then brought in Moles Juniors and gave the film to a friend who is photographically savy and he took the pictures.
On a side note, there was only about 3fc in the room where I got married so 2x 2000W Juniors were used to help light the stage. The fastest portrait film I could find with the contrast I wanted was 160ASA which would be perfect except it's daylight ballanced. So the 80b filter used took away a little over a stop of that light so we pushed the negs a stop which made it even more contrasty. It was a very difficult shoot but the results were quite nice IMHO.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
mattias

Post by mattias »

MIKI-814 wrote:
wado1942 wrote: I shot my wedding on a pro portrait film
Even at your wedding were you camera in hand? 8)
why not? i shot three rolls of super 8, four rolls of stills and plenty of digital during mine. so did my wife as well as most of the guests. i even bought everyone a disposable camera when they arrived to get even more material. it was great fun. oh, i did give my super 8 camera to a friend during the actual ceremony though. i'm not that sick. :-)

/matt
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Hey, I played guitar while the special guests were being seated. But my parents' own band played their reception so I guess they're even sicker.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
John_Pytlak

Kodak Consumer vs. Professional Films

Post by John_Pytlak »

Kodak consumer and professional films almost always have differences in the formulation, even for films that are identical in speed and color balance. And yes, different "keeping factors" are used to optimize the film characteristics under the likely conditions (time, temperature) that the film will be stored.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hey, John!

Nice to see you around! Hope you're feeling better.

Roger
mattias

Post by mattias »

indeed. i'm also very happy to see you. the best health update so far. :-)

i was also always under the impression that professional products were more "accurate" but also didn't last as long, but i started using the cheapest consumer film i could find as soon as i started shooting professionally. only hobbyists can afford pro film.

/matt
Angus

Post by Angus »

Great to see you again John, with your sage advice and great knowledge of the actual products.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
lifeinplastic

Hello John_Pytlak

Post by lifeinplastic »

Hello Mr. Pytlak,

Well, back to the original topic. In your professional opinion (as part of Kodak), how will my super 8 films turn out.

I shot them in march of 2006 and am just about to get them developed. I know...big delay (don't ask).

The film was Kodak vision 200T.

If there were any problems, what would they likely be?

Thanks so much. I look forward to your response...
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote: only hobbyists can afford pro film.
Hilarious but true. :lol:

Roger