EU transfers in the UK? PayPal? How to receive money?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

EU transfers in the UK? PayPal? How to receive money?

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I just transferred some reels to a fellow in the UK, and apparently the EU transfer would cost him 30 Euro!!! How is this possible?

I remember we had a thread earlier about EU transfers (or similar), how much do you guys pay to make a bank transfer to the rest of Europe from UK? Is it like 30 Euro for a transfer? Sounds insane to me....

How can I receive money in a "cheap" way? Is PayPal the only option here or what?

I know PayPal charges me for receiving money so I´d just add that to the price for the transfer. I know I shouldn´t be doing that according to PayPal but any other bank transfer fees are paid by the clients anyway, so what´s the big deal?
namke

Post by namke »

(I'm the 'uk guy' trying to pay Kent!!)

I was more than somewhat surprised when I found out that the charge would be £21 - I got the guy at the bank to double-check, but that's apparently the price (First Direct BTW; a division of HSBC).

As for paypal, I don't mind paying the 3 or 4% (obviously Kent is running a service, and he needs to get the full amount)...

... as far as I can see, I may as well just get some euros from the nearest Bureau de Change and post it!
cameras: Canon mvx250i / 518SV / 814E | GAF 738
projectors: Eumig S807 / Mark S
web: minimism.com namke.com
Angus

Post by Angus »

30 euros! Sounds like he is lying....I can send money to the states cheaper than that and they're not even part of the International Banks Clearing System (US banks are in the stone age).

From my Lloyds TSB account I can send to EU bank accounts either free or at low cost using the IBN (International Banking Number)...or at worst using Economy Money Mover.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Yup, its a real PITA- my bank charges £20 for international transfers- a real pain as ebay.de is a very rich marketplace.
I have no problem paying a surcharge for paypal, but it seems that most ebay.de'ers are slow do adopt it.

Mark
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I usually end up buying euros at the PO and sending them in an envelope!

Mark
namke

Post by namke »

Angus wrote:30 euros! Sounds like he is lying....I can send money to the states cheaper than that and they're not even part of the International Banks Clearing System (US banks are in the stone age).
I hope by 'he' you don't mean me :wink: I checked up on first direct's web page after speaking to them, and yes - the published charge is £21 (http://www.firstdirect.com/rates/charge ... el_charges 'Electronic Payment Abroad'
Sparky wrote:I usually end up buying euros at the PO and sending them in an envelope!
Yep, I reckon I'll do the same if it's Ok with Kent ;)

john..
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Reckon I'll look into a Lloyds account!

Mark
tim

Post by tim »

Since the Euro, UK banks seem to be trying to cash in on foreign currency while they still have the chance. Why doesn't the EU do them for restraint of trade?

Sending currency seems the obvious answer, but it does tend to disappear since everything gets X-rayed for security. Either register cash, or disguise it. I usually wrap the notes around a small bit of aluminium sheet (1.2 mm to 1.5 mm thick ) and put it in a small padded bag.

It is odd that, for business purposes, I can receive transfers from the Eurozone for free using IBAN, but making payments is something else.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

This price is most likely correct and varies from bank to bank. Here in Norway we have a few banks that offers free transfers (Ie. Skandiabanken), but these can't transfer to any foreign account. This account must be within a bank of their network. If not, you'll have to contact a business bank that will make the transfer for about £21.

I belive it actually IS cheaper, atleast here in Norway, if you send it to an IBAN account and not just an account with a SWIFT/BIC number.

Still, cash or Paypal is most likely the cheapest way if Kent doesn't accept creditcards.

Paypal charges 3.6% - exactly the same VISA/Mastercard charges my company when we charge customers through creditcards.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Namke wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yep, I reckon I'll do the same if it's Ok with Kent Wink

john..
Well no problem for me, but it would be a pain in the a** if someone stole your money...

I´m in no hurry to get your money, I´ll send the stuff to you tomorrow and whenever we have found a good way of dealing with the payment you can pay me.

If you prefer cash in envelope instead of 3% add for a PayPal or similar we can do it with cash, but I think it feels unsafe... (or I would at least if it was my money!).

Awand wrote:
Paypal charges 3.6% - exactly the same VISA/Mastercard charges my company when we charge customers through creditcards.
Hmmm, interesting. I will have to talk to my guy at the bank about receiving payments with creditcards. I will probably add PayPal or some creditcard thingy as a way of paying. 30 Euros per payment is definetly over the top! 8O

...mumble mumble....30 Euros....@!¤**@.....ripoff....stoneage....
namke

Post by namke »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Namke wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Yep, I reckon I'll do the same if it's Ok with Kent ;)

john..
Well no problem for me, but it would be a pain in the a** if someone stole your money...
Yes, well I am a little uncertain about doing so, but it seems like this is not an uncommon way of sending payments... Anyone here ever had their 'carefully concealed cash' go missing??!
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:I´m in no hurry to get your money, I´ll send the stuff to you tomorrow and whenever we have found a good way of dealing with the payment you can pay me.

...mumble mumble....30 Euros....@!¤**@.....ripoff....stoneage....
Thanks Kent - that's extremely good of you.

I would prefer to get you your money ASAP of course (before I spend any more on film!!) :)

john..
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

30 Euros
Sounds like even using Western Union's "Moneygram" would be cheaper and faster ;)
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

From the U.S., my bank charges $23 for a transfer to a European bank. It's also prone to mistakes because it seems to be a very manual process compared to ACH transfers (the domestic version for which there are no fees).

It's almost always worthwhile for me to convince the seller into letting me send him his PayPal fees than to do a money transfer. Incidentally, when there there's a mistake, I have to pay again to resend it. I once spent $46 in fees to buy a $12 camera from Germany.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sparky wrote:Reckon I'll look into a Lloyds account!

Mark
Well, unless they're changed their policy in the last year, I wouldn't bother. Around a year ago I wanted to make an IBAN transfer to Germany through Lloyds and was told it would cost £30.
I've paid for several items on ebay.de by sending Euros by registered post and never had a problem.

Rob
mattias

Post by mattias »

namke wrote:Anyone here ever had their 'carefully concealed cash' go missing??!
yes. not me, but another member sent me €10 a while ago and i never got it. i took the hit that time since it was so little, but that's the problem. how does the sender prove that he sent it and the receiver that he didn't get it? registered mail costs as much as a bank transfer.

/matt