Tri-X

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sobiwan

Tri-X

Post by sobiwan »

hello

I need some advice about trix...

want to film indoor a little musicvideo
how much light is needfull?
have somebody some info..

thanks
mattias

Post by mattias »

not enough info. what kind of video, what stock, what kind of lights?

/matt
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

mattias wrote:not enough info. what kind of video, what stock, what kind of lights?

/matt
ahh... i think he meant "tri-x" rather than "tricks" trickily spelled.

i used 3-point lighting w/2 500W fresnels and a 500W photoflood to shoot tri-x in a small hotel room last weekend.

with the lights pretty close, i got readings of 4.0 and 5.6 most of the time as long as i used no diffusion or color. YMMV.
mattias

Post by mattias »

ccortez wrote:ahh... i think he meant "tri-x" rather than "tricks" trickily spelled.
oops, i just realized that too. i still think we need more info though.

/matt
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

ahh... i think he meant "tri-x" rather than "tricks" trickily spelled.
Silly rabbit...

:)
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Amazingly you do require a little more light than that packaging would make you think that you can use. If you have a lot of light as long as you expose it correctly you'll be fine with what ccortez has down. I used 160w and it just wasn't enough go with some stuff from a photo shop.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Here's a Tri X still of my dog under 1 250W about 5 or 6 ft high.

ccortez

Post by ccortez »

T-Scan wrote:Here's a Tri X still of my dog under 1 250W about 5 or 6 ft high.

I use a single 250W photoflood a lot if I can put the light close enough to the subject. The further away your lights have to be, the more power you'll need.

Another great dog, btw! :)
mattias

Post by mattias »

whatever happened to sobiwan? strange guy.

/matt
sonickel

Post by sonickel »

That's a well exposed pic of your dog. :P

Actually I have a question about TriX. Last year, I shot a very short film with TriX, & my trusty Nizo 481, outside in Australian winter sun. However, it turned out washed out and grey looking, and VERY grainy. The blacks were tired, and green grass faded into white. Very disappointing.

What do you think happened there?
mattias

Post by mattias »

overexposure. i like to underexpose tri-x slightly to keep the grain down and blacks black.

/matt
christoph

Post by christoph »

sonickel wrote:What do you think happened there?
mattias wrote:overexposure. i like to underexpose tri-x slightly to keep the grain down and blacks black.
jup, you proably need a ND filter to get a proper exposure under these conditions (tri-x bright sun) since we're looking at f-stops around f22-32 here.. and/or shoot plus-x which looks fantastic in sunlight.

++ christoph ++
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

mattias wrote:overexposure. i like to underexpose tri-x slightly to keep the grain down and blacks black.

/matt
1/3rd stop less if F11 daylight is all you need. more than that can still under expose. I try not to use it much in broad open day. I just did a short for my class on 16mm Tri X last week. The scenes were existing window light, or between buildings with overcast. It came out perfect. great film for daylight nooks and crannys.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

/matt
I'm confused (again). In my experience, underexposing leads to *increased* grain, due to the fact that I must pump more light through the film to achieve proper brightness.
Now, I haven't projected in years, always telecine to DV. Do you think that's responsible for the difference in our experiences?

Mitch
mattias

Post by mattias »

Mitch Perkins wrote:In my experience, underexposing leads to *increased* grain
not in mine. underexposing is a bad word since it suggest "too little exposure" which is not what i mean. i mean exact, dead on exposure, which in my experience is a little under what the meter tells me if i'm shooting tri-x and most other reversals in high contrast situations.

/matt