TOTALLY O.T.: Dig my ride

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

TOTALLY O.T.: Dig my ride

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, this has zero to do with film making but I'm so excited I had to share. This is my new set of wheels. It's a '64 Falcon Sprint Convertable. Only 626 of them were ever made and they rarely come up for sale or auction.

Not sure but I believe this is the chassis the original Mustang was built on and it has a 260 small block V8. I am told the Mustang proved so popular that they had to increase production so the Falcon plant was taken over for Mustang production and that is why there were so few Falcon Sprints made. Don't know if that's true but it sounds about right, based on collectors I've talked to.

Currently it has an automatic transmission but I am having it changed out to a floor mounted manual three speed. Anyway, there are lots of things we can all argue about on the forum but we seem to find a truce when it comes to bitchin' cars. It should be here in about a week or so and then you'll here very little from me for a long while. Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Roger

PS: Don't hate me.
vegetable man

Post by vegetable man »

beautiful...
reflex

Re: TOTALLY O.T.: Dig my ride

Post by reflex »

MovieStuff wrote:Okay, this has zero to do with film making but I'm so excited I had to share. This is my new set of wheels. ... PS: Don't hate me.
Man. A convertible that pre-dates Super 8. If you ask me, it screams, "Make a roadtrip movie with me, Roger!"

Have fun.
Santo

Post by Santo »

MovieStuff wrote: Not sure but I believe this is the chassis the original Mustang was built on and it has a 260 small block V8. I am told the Mustang proved so popular that they had to increase production so the Falcon plant was taken over for Mustang production and that is why there were so few Falcon Sprints made. Don't know if that's true but it sounds about right, based on collectors I've talked to.
You are 100% correct, sir. Don't need to talk to collectors. Lots of excellent books available to verify this. Mustang Does It! is one of my personal favourites. Don't know if it identifies this rare car specifically, but it is, most certainly, based on the Falcon platform. Old friend of mine from my hotrod days used to drive a supertrick turbocharged Falcon 289 that kicked ass. Looked like "grandma's car" until you got close and saw the cheater slicks. And then all you saw was taillights!
MovieStuff wrote: Currently it has an automatic transmission but I am having it changed out to a floor mounted manual three speed.
Nice. Top loader 4 is a great tranny as well. Also, lots of people move over to rack and pinion steering sets. My dad is currently installing one in one of his '66 Mustang convertibles (though he's a Packard man these days).

I've got a soft spot for classic Fords. Grew up with Shelbys (before they went through the roof price-wise) and my brother and I restored a '66 fastback and a GT500KR with my dad as father-son projects. I've still got a genuine original "Team Cobra" shirt as one of my prize possessions. And no, I'm not a "rich boy" -- these things used to be affordable not so long ago!

See, I'm not just a "porsche guy" super8man! If you're still reading this board these days.
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

It looks like bit like a beefy Ford Cortina (UK readers will know what I mean)... nice!
mattias

Post by mattias »

way cool. i hate you. sorry.
Santo wrote:Looked like "grandma's car" until you got close and saw the cheater slicks. And then all you saw was taillights!
speaking of which, you really need to do something about those tires. they're probably original or whatever but they don't look very hot. i had to find something to complain on since it was the only way i could stop hating you. :-)

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote:you really need to do something about those tires. they're probably original or whatever but they don't look very hot.
Yeah, that's what's on the car now but I'll change them out. Whaddayathink? White walls or black walls? The rims aren't original but I kind of like them.

Roger
Santo

Post by Santo »

Those are Mustang rims. Styled steel wheels. Go with the red walls (brick walls). I actually like BF Goodrich raised letters, but they might be too much for that car.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Santo wrote:Those are Mustang rims. Styled steel wheels.
Ah! I was trying to place them. That makes sense.
Santo wrote:Go with the red walls (brick walls).
Are they basically like white walls but with red instead of white? Raised white lettering does sound kind of boss. Hmmmm. Have to think about it.....

Roger
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

MovieStuff wrote:Okay, this has zero to do with film making but I'm so excited I had to share. This is my new set of wheels. It's a '64 Falcon Sprint Convertable. Only 626 of them were ever made and they rarely come up for sale or auction.

Not sure but I believe this is the chassis the original Mustang was built on and it has a 260 small block V8. I am told the Mustang proved so popular that they had to increase production so the Falcon plant was taken over for Mustang production and that is why there were so few Falcon Sprints made. Don't know if that's true but it sounds about right, based on collectors I've talked to.

Currently it has an automatic transmission but I am having it changed out to a floor mounted manual three speed. Anyway, there are lots of things we can all argue about on the forum but we seem to find a truce when it comes to bitchin' cars. It should be here in about a week or so and then you'll here very little from me for a long while. Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Roger

PS: Don't hate me.
Not for the car (gorgeous!), but for living somewhere warm. Brrrr.
Hey! Are those Pontiac rally rims? If so, will you seek the original type wheels, or just leave them because they look cool? I have a 1980 Monte Carlo that had the same Pontiac rims when I bought it ($200.00 CDN). They look better than the Chevy rims (to me! only to me!) so on they stay.
Very cool ride!

Mitch
Steve P.

Post by Steve P. »

Coincidentally, there was just a blurb about Falcons in a local paper:

“Every urban city has its signature car, and in Oakland, the baddest ride around is the Falcon.”

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... BLAJF1.DTL

There are a few choice quotes in the article.
In the '80s, girls used to run into the street and stop Falcons. They'd go stupid.
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

One of the few of the original 'sport' convertibles. Big enough with a V8, without being a straight line musclecar. I'd be more keen to own that Falcon convertible than a later mustang. :wink:
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

drool..

makes me want to start manufacturing and selling my own telecine units!

jusetan