Regular8mm as SVCD?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

studiocarter

Regular8mm as SVCD?

Post by studiocarter »

Anyone burn any SVCD disks here?
Anyone ever see Extachrome 125 Regular8mm film shot at night that was pushed one stop and shot at 12 fps. ?
Well, I have a roll ready to upload, but it is 71.9MB zipped and 77.4 unzipped. It is 3min52 sec long and transferred using a TC20.
SVCD format is 480x480, mpeg-2, plays with winondvd and after using that wmp plays it.
Nero is used to burn it to a CD to play on a DVD player.
This format is about SVHS quality and way better than 352x240 mpeg-1 VCD or VHS format quality.
Should I upload it?

Michael
Nicolai

Re: Regular8mm as SVCD?

Post by Nicolai »

regular8mm wrote:Anyone burn any SVCD disks here?
Anyone ever see Extachrome 125 Regular8mm film shot at night that was pushed one stop and shot at 12 fps. ?
Well, I have a roll ready to upload, but it is 71.9MB zipped and 77.4 unzipped. It is 3min52 sec long and transferred using a TC20.
SVCD format is 480x480, mpeg-2, plays with winondvd and after using that wmp plays it.
Nero is used to burn it to a CD to play on a DVD player.
This format is about SVHS quality and way better than 352x240 mpeg-1 VCD or VHS format quality.
Should I upload it?

Michael

I suggest you take DivX or Quicktime. Use a software like Virtualdub with the new DivX5 codec to convert it, you have better control of grain, fps etc.
The advantge: you get smaller files...it is easier to download it with a slower connection.

Nico
Cranium

Post by Cranium »

I'll throw my vote in for DivX as well. There's been mention of what format to use on this forum before, w/ MPEG the usual answer, but couldn't there just be a link to the DivX player somewhere? It really would be a handy thing for us to be able to do smaller files, or at least better images in the same size files.
avortex

Vote for SVCD!

Post by avortex »

SVCD is a great format with a very great quality!!
And you can see it with your standalone DVD player too!

Upload it, please
studiocarter

done

Post by studiocarter »

Done, go get it in the upload directory.