SOT Curiosity: Nearly 100 Year Old Colour Photos

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

SOT Curiosity: Nearly 100 Year Old Colour Photos

Post by S8 Booster »

Check: http://troitsk.org/arte/empire/making.html

Actual images:
Image Image
An Explanation of the Color Rendering Process, “Digichromatography”

We know that Prokudin-Gorskii intended his photographic images to be viewed in color because he developed an ingenious photographic technique in order for these images to be captured in black and white on glass plate negatives, using red, green and blue filters. He then presented these images in color in slide lectures using a light-projection system [right] involving the same three filters.
R
Last edited by S8 Booster on Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Dave Anderson

Post by Dave Anderson »

Wow. Reminds me of my school days at R.I.T. The project was to set up a still life shot and shoot it with 4x5 tri-x on three sheets of film. We used Hoya filters - they used to make a set of three POP filters which represented the Red, Green, and Blue values needed. Then in the darkroom, we were to expose the same sheet of paper with the individual negs, combined again with the filter that was used to take the shot. It was a bear to get the registration to work right, but in the end, I was looking at a color photo!

I always wondered who the dude was that first figured that all out 8O

Dave
Dave Anderson
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

I used to guest teach at a local art/graphics school and one of the things I used to do was have the kids shoot three identical shots on a Nikon with Tri-X film using red, blue and green filters. We would then process the film into positive black and white slides. Using three slide projectors on a Chief stacker unit, we would align the images on top of one another and put the corresponding filters in place. It worked perfectly every time and the range of color was astounding, even compared to Kodachrome. Hmmm. I think I might try it again, now that I live out in the hill country. Should look wonderful.

Roger
downix

Post by downix »

A kind of still-life technicolor. I still would love to try shooting 3-strip technicolor someday tho, just for the experience.