Pansonic DVX100a DIY Telecine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

disjecta

Pansonic DVX100a DIY Telecine

Post by disjecta »

I decided, for the hell of it, to try doing a telecine using my DVX100a in 24p advanced mode. I put it next to the projector, projected the film image onto a piece of bright white ink jet paper and start shooting. I had to adjust the shutter speed to 1/24 on the DVX to avoid flickering but I think the results are pretty good.

I created a quicktime file of a variety of shots I did. The compression breaks up some of the more detailed scenes but there's enough there for you to appreciate the quality.

The shots here are direct from the camera with no post production effects. There is a variety of stocks: mostly k40, some Plus-X and some Ektachrome.

This even looked quite good on my plasma. The small file here really doesn't do it justice. All of these clips were shot mainly on a Bauer 715 at 24fps, btw

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/video/mov/dvx_8.mov

Enjoy it....
My needs are few but very expensive.
scottbobo2

Post by scottbobo2 »

Tried to view the clip but it doesnt open .Do you have an mpeg that you can post.Im sure you will get alot of replies as to the results. Try it again
Zero Cut

Post by Zero Cut »

The movie is to much compressed...So, is not easy to have an adequate opinion...In any case it doesn't look bad. I believe the best DIY way is filmming directly to the gate with a Macro lens like KimmoH amd others are trying to do with very interesting results...

http://8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/for ... aabd399c77

0C
disjecta

Post by disjecta »

I have very little experience with compression for the Web. Any recommendations for settings would be appreciated.
mattias

Post by mattias »

use sorenson 3 or mpeg-4, set quality to highest, keyframe every to 100, and finally your kbyterate to whatever you feel is appropriate considering your audience's bandwidth and attention span.

/matt
disjecta

Post by disjecta »

Okay, try this. It's much shorter but much better quality. Let me know if you can't play it.

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/video ... lecine.mpg
zetetick

Post by zetetick »

Well, I'm impressed. I also happen to be a super-8 shooter who owns a DVX100. I'm going to have a go at this myself when I get the chance.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

whats the latest now? are you still using your DVX to telecine? what projector are you using?
filmo

Post by filmo »

disjecta wrote:Okay, try this. It's much shorter but much better quality. Let me know if you can't play it.

ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/video ... lecine.mpg
I could play the first one, but not the second.

What do I need to play the second one?

I have QT and Windows Media Player on my Mac.
christoph

Post by christoph »

filmo wrote:
disjecta wrote:Okay, try this. It's much shorter but much better quality. Let me know if you can't play it.
I could play the first one, but not the second.
What do I need to play the second one?
I have QT and Windows Media Player on my Mac.
the second is an mpeg2... you either need the QT MPEG2 playback component (which unfortunately you have to pay for) or just use VLC (i get some error warnings but it still plays)... or Mplayer - they're both freeware and excellent video playback apps.

++ christoph ++