Just Bought a Nikon R8 - Whoopee!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lucas Lightfeat

Just Bought a Nikon R8 - Whoopee!

Post by Lucas Lightfeat »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Should I be pleased with the price here?

I don't read German - is there anything I missed, like "the lens is scratched to hell" or something of the sort?

Does anybody have details for this camera? What zoom does it have? How does it compare to the infamous R10?

I have a feeling I'm going to like this camera...

Many thanks fellow shooters,
Lucas
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

I bought a Beaulieu case off this seller a while ago - they are very polite and organised and the case was absolutely mint - never used once.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
aj

ok ausloeser?

Post by aj »

The price is Ok if it were OK. :D
Die Kamera wurde vor der Einstellung einem Kurztest unterzogen: Kameramotorläuft - jedoch setzt machmal die Auslösetaste in der Funktion aus. Brennweitenverstellung arbeitet. Die Nikon R8 Kamera wird hier ausdrücklich als Liebhaber bzw. Bastlerstück angeboten ohne jede Garantie und ohne Gewährleistung.
It is mentioned that the trigger goes in to off many times. Not clear in what situation he means with that. It also clearly states that is sold as collectors or for repair hobby. :(

This text is standard with this seller. Legal stuff. Most german ebay sellers fear EU rules on consumer garantees and seem to think (on suggestion of eBay-germany) that they can change the law with a disclaimer. It is a sort of as-is-declaration as in the USA auctions. Hardly see these disclaimer in other EU countries. Unfortunately, in my experience, some assume it also applies to their descriptions :(

I bought 3 times from this seller. All was OK. Except I find shipping rigid and expensive.

The camera transport (register pin!, fader, rewinder) mechanism is the same as on R10. It is much lighter in weight while the lens has much less glass. Should be sharp still.

My only trouble is that while shooting the hand/finger assembly easily covers the lightentrance for the lightmeterneedle background.
Kind regards,

André
Lucas Lightfeat

Re: ok ausloeser?

aj wrote:It is mentioned that the trigger goes in to off many times. Not clear in what situation what he actually means with that. It also clearly states that is sold as collectors or for repair hobby.
That sounds like as easy repair (for a Japanese camera). I guess I might have to remove absolutely tons of stuff with a 00 screwdriver to get at the trigger, as this is so typical of Japanese equipment. I'm sure I've got it in me to repair it, but...

...Can you advise me Rick?

Many thanks Andre

Lucas
escubria

Post by escubria »

The seller of the Camera is Bavaria film of Germany, they ae usually a very reliable seller.
LastQuark

Post by LastQuark »

escubria wrote:The seller of the Camera is Bavaria film of Germany, they ae usually a very reliable seller.
I agree. I have dealt with Berndt Kretzer several times who I think owns and handle online sales. You can be sure that his items are better than average, if not, superb.

Lucas Lightfeat

Wow, that's great to hear. Thanks guys.

Lucas
BK

Re: Just Bought a Nikon R8 - Whoopee!

Post by BK »

Lucas Lightfeat wrote: Does anybody have details for this camera? What zoom does it have? How does it compare to the infamous R10?
Lucas
8X zoom lens is sharper than the R10, but it takes 2 button batteries for the meter!? All the other functions are the same as the R10 otherwise and I find it a better balanced camera to handhold, it's lighter but built like a tank.

You are right, you gonna like it. Enjoy!

Bill
aj

Post by aj »

8X zoom lens is sharper than the R10
Do not expect this to be true...

Comes from some abandoned website which
owners of R8 are eager to believe.
As reported somewhere else here in a thread.
Kind regards,

André
Lucas Lightfeat

I've just downloaded the manual for the R10, and a worrying difference (from pictures of them both side by side) seems to be the lack of the manual aperture adjust knob on the R8.

Is this the case, or is it positioned elsewhere? Surely it has manual aperure adjustment! Eek!

Many thanks
Lucas
BK

Post by BK »

aj wrote:
8X zoom lens is sharper than the R10
Do not expect this to be true...
Maybe I need new specs then! Seeing is believing.
Lucas Lightfeat wrote:I've just downloaded the manual for the R10, and a worrying difference (from pictures of them both side by side) seems to be the lack of the manual aperture adjust knob on the R8.

Is this the case, or is it positioned elsewhere?
There is a small rotating knob below the lens which lets you select automatic or manual iris, on the R10 it is a big round knob on the left forward side of the body.

A pleasure !

Bill
aj

Post by aj »

Maybe I need new specs then! Seeing is believing.

If it were that obvious then the R8 would be so much better than the R10 and everybody would know and be chasing these R8 cameras. Which they don't.

Then also the R8 would show in the top of lists and tests of sharpest S8 cameras and lenses. Which it doesn't

At the time the lens of the R10 was a new design and the R8 has the same thing as on the earlier Nikon 8x Super Zoom. Which can be had really cheap. So if you like the lens a lot...

But it is still a nice camera. Automatic rewinding and fading. Hardly any electronics inside. Just a matchbox of classic components. No IC or SMD's. Could last forever. Just like the R10 and older Beaulieux.
Kind regards,

André
BK

Post by BK »

Think you are right aj. Looking at my Nikon 8X superzoom which I also have and comparing it to the R8 the lenses are identical, so it is a older design. But after learning that I would like to say that the sharpest lens doesn't yield the sharpest image, it all depends on the different filming conditions, lighting etc.

Bill
viangogh

Post by viangogh »

Hello!

I have this camera (it was my first one), and I love the results. I can also send you a copy of the manual if you want (I recently uploaded it to this site, don't know if it is online already).

Bye!
Lucas Lightfeat

I'd love a copy of the manual. If you could either send it to my email address, or even better, upload it or send it to Andreas so he can upload it, then everyone can share.

Many thanks again. What a community this is!
Lucas