Battery Suggestions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Wade

Battery Suggestions

Post by Wade »

My old battery belt died after about 15 years of use.
Image]
Not bad, but it was always awkward to use. Never actually used it as a belt. Just hung it on a tripod or put it on the ground. I can get it re-celled I guess.
But what are you guys using these days? It should power a Tobin motor, or an Eclair motor and such, 12 volts. Something more compact and easy to hang on a tripod.
Wade
silverhalide

Re: Battery Suggestions

Post by silverhalide »

No such thing as a dead battery belt/pack. Just re-cell it.

These guys do great work and charge reasonable prices:

http://www.ritterbattery.com

I've sent them a gnarly Arri OBB-2 or two and their work was perfect.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Looks like it's shrink wrap tubing they used. If you want to do it on the cheap you could try doing it yourself. Total cost around $60. Rechargeables have certainly come down in price. Good luck.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Maybe an alternative, pretty cheap. I use one to power my Bolex EM motor and my Tobin motor I use on Bolex cameras. Toss it in some kinda bag with straps and you can easily hang it on a tripod or over your shoulder.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas ... lsrc=aw.ds
Wade

Post by Wade »

David M. Leugers wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:02 pm Maybe an alternative, pretty cheap. I use one to power my Bolex EM motor and my Tobin motor I use on Bolex cameras. Toss it in some kinda bag with straps and you can easily hang it on a tripod or over your shoulder.

How did you adapt it to an XLR plug?
Wade
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

How did you adapt it to an XLR plug?
Wade

Not sure how to answer that. Depends on the device you are connecting the battery to. If the motor takes a 4 pin XLR plug, then you just match up the (+) battery terminal to the correct pin on the XLR plug and the same with the (-) terminal. Different camera/motor combinations may require different setups. My 50ft magazine 16mm gun cameras that use 12 volts I have set up to attach the two leads coming from the cameras directly to the battery terminals. On my motors that use a 4 pin XLR plug, the (-) is on pin #1 and the (+) is on pin #4. The only requirement left is that there is a switch somewhere in the scheme of things to turn power on and off to the motor. The Tobin and Bolex EM motors have an on/off switch. Hope this helps.