Kodak Film Prices

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

studiocarter2

Re: Kodak Film Prices

Post by studiocarter2 »

I use 7363 even 3378 reversed. They are affordable for me but difficult to expose accurately.
doug

Post by doug »

synthnut wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 pm If you thought those prices were crazy, here in the UK, the new Ektachrome is being offered for around £54 including VAT, some even higher. That's nearly $69 at the lower price!
I remember buying Kodachrome 10 carts at a time for under a tenner a roll and that was process paid in the early Noughties (sorry I hate theat term) I think there needs to be some price reductions if they ever want to shift much of this stuff. I realise that some pro's will just cost this into productions, but for the wider user who has a bunch of cameras kicking about, this is just crazy territory.
Would dearly love to be shooting film on a regular basis, I did several carts a month when Kodachrome was still with us, and maybe halving after that for a while, but soon found it just too dear when you factored in developing services.
Bring on Ferrania, we need some affordable stock, I have a hole stack of cameras feeling hungry!

TTFN,
Ben
Indeed yes, Ferrania would bring down the prices. The position now is that super-8 is just not attractive to analog film-makers, except for it's compactness and auto-exposure. We still don't know what price Kodak will want for their 16mm Ektachrome but hopefully it will be affordable. And if a super-8 look is desired, one could maybe force process by say 2 or 3 stops, or shoot on outdated fast film.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
doug

Post by doug »

Not that I am expecting the 16mm Ektachrome to be cheap (anyone heard anything recently ?) but at least you are paying for a quality product. And I'm sure somebody will start re-perfing for regular 8mm cameras as well.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Reperfing one edge perf'd is difficult. Most reperf'd film comes from two edge perf'd 16mm. Doubt EKchrome will be two edge perf. There may be someone that can reperf. One edge 16 but I don't know who that is. Any info would be helpful.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Reperfing one edge perf'd is difficult. Most reperf'd film comes from two edge perf'd 16mm. Doubt EKchrome will be two edge perf. There may be someone that can reperf. One edge 16 but I don't know who that is. Any info would be helpful.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Will2

Post by Will2 »

Silverdream wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 am There's no point in Super 8 anymore as one might as well use 16mm, the price difference is so close.
It's been that way for a while when getting quality scans. If you're just projecting there's still a savings with Super 8 but 16 has quite a few advantages without that much of a price jump.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

7363 is $10 a roll.
doug

Post by doug »

mr8mm wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 pm Reperfing one edge perf'd is difficult. Most reperf'd film comes from two edge perf'd 16mm. Doubt EKchrome will be two edge perf. There may be someone that can reperf. One edge 16 but I don't know who that is. Any info would be helpful.
Yes I now realise this. Although there's perhaps just a chance Kodak would do some double-perf. However they would no doubt charge more for doing it.
Storing Ektachrome for relatively long periods doesn't appear to be bad, so maybe a supplier could make a bulk order of 2-perf. I have Ektachrome from 6 years ago in the freezer and it's fine.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Mana

Post by Mana »

doug wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am
mr8mm wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 pm Reperfing one edge perf'd is difficult. Most reperf'd film comes from two edge perf'd 16mm. Doubt EKchrome will be two edge perf. There may be someone that can reperf. One edge 16 but I don't know who that is. Any info would be helpful.
Yes I now realise this. Although there's perhaps just a chance Kodak would do some double-perf. However they would no doubt charge more for doing it.
Storing Ektachrome for relatively long periods doesn't appear to be bad, so maybe a supplier could make a bulk order of 2-perf. I have Ektachrome from 6 years ago in the freezer and it's fine.
I think Edward Nowill can re-perf 1r 16mm to Double 8mm? Just bought some 50D that was perf'd for 8mm from 1R 16mm supposedly by Mr. Nowill.
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

studiocarter2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 am 7363 is $10 a roll.
Where?
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Call Kodak. I think I put a link in the thread called, 7363 is back
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

doug wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:09 am We still don't know what price Kodak will want for their 16mm Ektachrome but hopefully it will be affordable.
If Kodak follows their current pricing structure 100' of 16mm Ektachrome would be US$60.
Reperf that into Double Run Standard 8mm and a 25' roll could be had for $15, or perhaps $20 if one included the perfing cost. For that money I would pull out some vintage gear.
On a side note I was looking at some Kodak published samples photos of Kodachrome 25 vs 40 vs 64 and the 25 was so much better than the 40 and 64, which explains why Standard 8 could look better than Super 8.
The stupid thing is Double Super 8 is being made right now and 100' could be sold for $60-$80 but Kodak won't supply it.
Does anyone know what the lens quality of the Elmo / Honeywell C300 and C200 is like? I can't find any test footage or info on this camera.
doug

Post by doug »

Silverdream wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:44 pm
doug wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:09 am We still don't know what price Kodak will want for their 16mm Ektachrome but hopefully it will be affordable.
If Kodak follows their current pricing structure 100' of 16mm Ektachrome would be US$60.
Reperf that into Double Run Standard 8mm and a 25' roll could be had for $15, or perhaps $20 if one included the perfing cost. For that money I would pull out some vintage gear.
On a side note I was looking at some Kodak published samples photos of Kodachrome 25 vs 40 vs 64 and the 25 was so much better than the 40 and 64, which explains why Standard 8 could look better than Super 8.
The stupid thing is Double Super 8 is being made right now and 100' could be sold for $60-$80 but Kodak won't supply it.
Does anyone know what the lens quality of the Elmo / Honeywell C300 and C200 is like? I can't find any test footage or info on this camera.
So you mean the standard regular 8mm samples had an unfair advantage. K25 certainly was a beautiful emulsion.
Nevertheless if exposed carefully (and maybe pulling during processing?) the new Ektachrome should be more than adequate to shoot in the classic R8 cameras. There are so many old Bolex's and Bell & Howells still working moreorless as they left the factory all those years ago, perhaps just needing service. The one thing holding back people is the lack of a colour reversal film. Wittnerchrome was rather too expensive and also too grainy for R8. So it would seem the time couldn't be better to introduce an affordable R8 version of Ektachrome. People also I think appreciate the craftsmanship that went into these beautiful little cameras. I mean the older ones before the big zooms took over. Though some people might prefer them with reflex viewing.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co