New Universal pricing w/free shipping!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

New Universal pricing w/free shipping!

Post by MovieStuff »

Hi, all!

We've recently had some tariff induced increases in overhead from our vendors. I normally don't like to tie up Andreas' bandwidth here with promotional stuff but, to combat the increase, I've worked up some cost saving multi gate package prices and, for a limited time, I'm offering free shipping on Universal units anywhere in the world. For international customers, this could represent quite a savings. I don't want to drag out any long conversations here so, if you are anyone you know is interested, just consult the website and give me a shout.

http://www.moviestuff.tv

Thanks, Andreas. :)

Roger
MovieStuff

Re: New Universal pricing w/free shipping!

Post by MovieStuff »

Just an update about the sale:

I have had a number of people contact me asking how long the sale will last. To facilitate this sale, we had gone ahead and ordered in quantity the various components required to build a number of units. Once these discount components are gone, the sale ends. Based on my calculations, I figured we had enough to last through November but the response has been pretty vigorous. So, if you or anyone you know is on the fence, I wouldn't wait too long.

Thanks, again, Andreas.

Roger
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hi, all!

I've finally added a demo for the RetroSync Studio Sound Module.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/whats_new_at_moviestuff.html

Roger
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Hi, all!

I've finally added a demo for the RetroSync Studio Sound Module.

http://www.moviestuff.tv/whats_new_at_moviestuff.html

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Roger, did you move? I thought you were in Utopia...
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Will2 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 pm Roger, did you move? I thought you were in Utopia...
I lived in Utopia from 2004 until 2013. Then I lived outside of Bandera until the end of 2018. Now I live in Kerrville. My shop is still in Utopia, which is about an hour from me.

Roger
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

Some day I hope your stuff will work natively using MacOS, without having to run Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels/VM Ware.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

c-stand wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm Some day I hope your stuff will work natively using MacOS, without having to run Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels/VM Ware.
The problem isn't about writing the software for a Mac but, rather, the drivers for the cameras we use are all Windows based. Without Mac drivers for the camera, there isn't much we can do. But, also, about 99% of the people we sell to are small shops doing film transfers and, while many of them actually do use a Mac to edit and author DVDs and the such, most do not want to tie up their really nice Mac just to do transfers when most any cheap, off the shelf PC will do the trick. Since working with the Universal is a two part process ( capture > export ) , most just capture on their cheap PC then export to a Mac friendly drive. Then they take that drive to their Mac workstation and work right off the drive. In my opinion, even if it would work on a Mac, the more cost effective thing to do is still to to use a cheap PC to capture and process on and save your Mac for doing the quality finish work and disc authoring. That's my opinion, anyway. :)

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Roger, have you thought about creating a film cleaning unit? Maybe you can ask your customer base if there's a market for it but I bet a simple motorized cleaning solution would help improve the scans even more.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Will2 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm Roger, have you thought about creating a film cleaning unit? Maybe you can ask your customer base if there's a market for it but I bet a simple motorized cleaning solution would help improve the scans even more.
Actually, that is something we are working on. It would be a combination film cleaner and rewind unit. Kind of a back burner project because I don't want to have to get a license to sell and ship the cleaning fluid, which you need even for shipping in the USA and international customers would have a problem finding the right cleaning fluid to make it work properly. So we would essentially be selling a gun but not the bullets for the gun. Kind of tricky to both market and provide customer support for.

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

MovieStuff wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm Actually, that is something we are working on. It would be a combination film cleaner and rewind unit.
Seems like it would be useful for archives and shops that transfer film regularly. I was tempted to pick up a cleaning machine when a local lab went out of business but it was the size of a vending machine and just as heavy. Even higher-end post houses might benefit from such a device.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Will2 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
MovieStuff wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm Actually, that is something we are working on. It would be a combination film cleaner and rewind unit.
Seems like it would be useful for archives and shops that transfer film regularly. I was tempted to pick up a cleaning machine when a local lab went out of business but it was the size of a vending machine and just as heavy. Even higher-end post houses might benefit from such a device.
High end houses typically have ultrasonic, full bath cleaners. Like I say, the issue is the cleaning fluid which, for international customers, can be particularly troublesome to get. As a business, any time you make a product or add a feature to a product, you have to ask your self whether doing so is going to result in added sales or just make the phone ring more with customer support questions and issues. So while the idea is a good one, I have to pay attention to the realities of my customer base and what they demand or, rather, what they don't demand.

For instance, we've been selling the 2K Universal now with the new 2K camera for about a year. Prior to that, we sold it with the previous HD camera that dated back to 2011. Now, a lot of customers are buying the new 2K camera upgrade kits for their old HD based Universals so you'd think that 2K was in high demand. Not really. In fact, even with the older HD camera, the majority of our equipment customers I've polled were still outputting mostly standard def DVDs. These same customers are now buying the new 2K camera upgrade kit or the Universal 2K scanner, not because their customers demand 2K but, rather, simply because the new camera has better color, contrast, less noise and a sharper image than the older HD camera, even if using the 2K camera only in HD. But, even then, they still aren't outputting HD for the majority of their customers because the majority of their customers are still only asking for DVDs.

So, relative to the idea of making improvements or offering something that seems to be "better", like an automated cleaner, I am sometimes asked when I'm going to add a 4K camera to the Universal. There are a variety of technical issues related to adding 4K and we could but, in reality, doing so would mean the customer would need a totally different PC with greater horsepower just to accommodate the potential of capturing and working in 4K when the reality is most aren't even using the full 2K potential of the current camera. But by adding a 4K camera, we increase the likelihood of increased customer support issues to accommodate an added feature that no one seems to be demanding because, inevitably, a special PC build brings with it all kinds of debugging problems. What I can't afford to do is get elbow deep helping someone debug a product I didn't build (their PC). So, let's say we build a cleaner and specify a particular fluid and the customer can't get that fluid and starts using something else and doesn't get the results expected. Again, we're talking about increasing our overhead by having to deal with customer support issues related to someone else's product (the cleaning fluid). So we're looking at the possibility of a cleaning station but there are a number of things to consider in doing so beyond just the technical aspects of designing and producing one.

Roger
jrcasey1960

Post by jrcasey1960 »

Roger:
Do you still have plans for specialized gates? We occasionally run into films with a curl or other warping that just don't run well through the Universal. We can capture them, but focus goes in and out among other issues.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

jrcasey1960 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 pm Roger:
Do you still have plans for specialized gates? We occasionally run into films with a curl or other warping that just don't run well through the Universal. We can capture them, but focus goes in and out among other issues.
Hi!

Yes, always experimenting with new gate designs and improvements. Nothing specific yet but hope to have something by the first quarter.

Roger