Sound

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

T-Scan

Sound

Post by T-Scan »

I read through some former posts here, but am still curious about possibly adding sound sometime. is it very hard to record seperatly, film at 24fps and sync it? maybe by playing a CD with the projector, or can you add it in on DVD tranferred film with editing software?
super8man

Post by super8man »

once you get your footage onto the computer, the answer will be self-evident - simply add a soundtrack of any kind to the timeline. Move it, cut it, etc, and you can get it to line up with the picture - no prob.

Have fun spending your money this xmas!!!

Oh, do a google search on "vegas video" as a starting point...

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

thats cool, i've been looking for decent editing software i can use with windows. most people around here go out and borrow time for final cut pro, but i would like to work at home, and not spend money on a Mac just for that right now. i definatly want to add music for a start, can it sync recorded dialog and sound too?
mattias

Post by mattias »

T-Scan wrote:can it sync recorded dialog and sound too?
no, it has a hyper intelligent audio analyzer that finds any dialog or sound effects in your audio files and cuts them out, even if you name your recorded files things like "while my guitar gently weeps" or "i want it that way". you have to be careful if you have music with too much spoken voices in it, like rap, and sometimes the bass drum will be recognized as a gun blast and be cut out as well.

(ok, serious answer: yes)

/matt
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

T-Scan wrote:thats cool, i've been looking for decent editing software i can use with windows.
This should be a good start:

http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

If you want to start toying with sound during projection, the trick is this:

Make a mark on film actual film strip, this mark should be visible when you are ready for projection (could be even a sound mark on your leader).

Use the mark as a reference point, so you know when to start your cd or tape.

Good luck
sunrise
nonkjo

Post by nonkjo »

I want to add something about Vegas Video (actually, now it's just called "Vegas")
Vegas has the ability to arm a track in the timeline for audio recording and it also has the ability to edit 24p (24 fps). In theory, if you set the project properties to so that you you are editing a 24 fps timeline and then bring in your audio import off of a cd...record directly..whatever..it should conform to the 24 fps necessary for syncing back up with the film when you render the audio out. It would help with the audio drift issues and then the only problem would be making sure the audio and film could be started at the same time.
I've never tried this...i just though tof it while reading this thread.

I had another idea too...some of you older folks might remember watching still films in grade school where the audio on a cassette would use a 1 khz tone to advance the film to the next frame.
Anyone got an idea how you can set up a projectoer to start rolling the film as soon as it hears the tone, thus syncing to the audio itself? Just a thought...

James Green
FourFourForty

Post by FourFourForty »

T-Scan: If you want to add dialogue, your camera should be synched for sound (set to film at a constant 24fps). Capture your dialogue with a mini-disc. Have your film transferred to video. Import the video into your NLE, Premiere, Vegas, Avid, etc... I use Cool Edit for audio. I think someone bought them out, so it may not be called Cool Edit any longer, but it's around. Import your audio into your computer and Cool Edit. Set the fps to 24, CE will make the adjustment, save the file and import into your video editor. Voila!

Or... without a sync-sound cam, follow the same procedure as above, keep the dialogue short to avoid drifting and hope like heck that you're filming somewhere close to 24fps.

Good luck.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Thanks for all the info, including the free link. i've gotten pretty good at splicing projects together and can't wait to take it to the next level. going to be upgrading my OS and a few things for this.. i have a lot of good music to add to my films.. i think it quadrouples the mood. and what i meant was dialog OR sound, lol, i can shoot at 24fps no problem 8) cheers
super8man

Post by super8man »

nonkjo wrote:I want to add something about Vegas Video (actually, now it's just called "Vegas")
Vegas has the ability to arm a track in the timeline for audio recording and it also has the ability to edit 24p (24 fps). In theory, if you set the project properties to so that you you are editing a 24 fps timeline and then bring in your audio import off of a cd...record directly..whatever..it should conform to the 24 fps necessary for syncing back up with the film when you render the audio out. It would help with the audio drift issues and then the only problem would be making sure the audio and film could be started at the same time.
I've never tried this...i just though tof it while reading this thread.

I had another idea too...some of you older folks might remember watching still films in grade school where the audio on a cassette would use a 1 khz tone to advance the film to the next frame.
Anyone got an idea how you can set up a projectoer to start rolling the film as soon as it hears the tone, thus syncing to the audio itself? Just a thought...

James Green
This was the exact premise behind the Filmosound B&H system cameras/tape recorders/projectors. This was all the rage in the early 70's. After a while, companies realized nobondy wanted to run dual systems so they went whole hog for the single system sound cameras.

It's a concept that is still valid and still viable. you just have to do the research in the old super 8 filmaker magazines.

Cheers,
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Angus

Post by Angus »

nonkjo wrote:

James Green
Oh you make me feel old now!

Oddly enough I now work at a school and we STILL have some old filmstrips /slide sets with the accompanying tapes. The commentary seems so stilted by today's standards that we don't use the tapes but some of the slides and filmstrips are still pretty good.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

i remember the slide beep very well.. the kid in charge would always be a frame or 2 behind and everyone would be yelling at him or her, the good old days. anyway, what modality are you guys using to get your film on the computer? is DV the only way? that means i have to get a video camera.. urgh, is there just a DV tape player out there?
discs of tron

Post by discs of tron »

yes. the sony dv tpe players start around $1000. though the camera's transport is less robust, the camera makes more sense, since it could help you actually get the film onto tape, which the player won't. and cameras start around $500.
Valtteri

Post by Valtteri »

Hello!

We just finnished editing a test film that we shot a few months ago on one reel of k-40 with CAnon 814 xls with 24 fps.The material is transfered with WP to DV and cut on premiere. The sound was captured with a Sennheiser mic and a boom to a MD.

You won't propably understand the langauge since it it in finnish with no subtitles, but trust me, it is better that way ;) Because it is all improvised and done with out a script and the story is realy silly. Just a test in other words .I think that the sound works quite well and we are going to do somethin more "serious" in the future. (That would mean having a script and so on)

Oh, jeah, I allmost forgot the link:
http://koti.welho.com/vkantane/impro/

"Enjoy" :D

Valtteri
mattias

Post by mattias »

wmv? *sigh* when will they ever learn. ;-)

/matt