Exposure questions for a Bolex P1

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Split8mm

Exposure questions for a Bolex P1

Post by Split8mm »

Good morning gentlemen. I hope you'll tolerate some questions from a newbie. :? I just got a pretty Bolex P1 and a couple hundred feet of film. And I want to start making movies! I was wondering if someone could point me to an exposure table for this camera. Something that would tell me the equivalent "shutter speed" for different camera speeds with the variable shutter open or half closed. Since I don't have a battery for the internal light meter, I think I need some kind of table like this in order to properly set the lens f-stop using a hand held light meter. Thanks in advance.
studiocarter

P1 Battery

Post by studiocarter »

As for the battery, mine runs on a Radio Shack Watch & Photo Silver-Oxide battery 23-009 1.5 V. I got it 2-10-98 and it still works.
Since it is thin, there is inside the battery compartment of the camera, a copper wire twisted into a sprint like shape to take up the extra space and to make contact with the top and bottom. The battery goes in first then the 'spring'. It is home made and has no spring to it. The wire is pretty thick.
The light meter works fine. My other P-1 isn't so lucky;that meter is dead even with power. Good luck with yours. Go get a battery and try. It is worth the trouble to get it working.

I have the P2 Booklet and will scan it and post it here under manuals. for now... stay tuned...
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Split8mm

Exactly what I needed!

Post by Split8mm »

Thanks a bunch regular8mm. The table is exactly what I needed. :D I will also give the battery a try. Though I don't hold out much hope. There appears to be corrosion growing on the needle itself when I look through the finder. There is also a small amount of corrosion in the battery compartment itself.