Cool Cam, not mine

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

supa_ate_sixteen

Cool Cam, not mine

Post by supa_ate_sixteen »

Check it. With all sorts of rare components such as a 100' magazine!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1350988876

It would be interesting to see someone try to reintroduce "Span 8" a double 8mm format where the film is exposed completely through over the course of one run through the camera, instead of flipping the reel and slitting the result. The film gate would have to be widened and who knows what else. Of course projectors would have to be modified as well to project the result but I'm sure the format could be acomodated somehow through Roger's video transfer service. Who knows, but its still so cool to think of having a 2.35 widescreen super 8 format. I have a still from a book with a description that I'll try to get on here later tonight.
David M. Leugers

Cool Cam

Post by David M. Leugers »

I almost bought one of those some years ago at a Photo flea market. It is cool, but I just couldn't get past how kinda unwieldy it is with the 100ft roll magazine on. Also it is nothing special in the lens department and features. However, it is well built and probably takes fine pictures. Please look closely at the photos in the ad and I believe the magazine if for 100ft rolls of Regular Double-8mm film and not Double S-8mm. Would make a big difference to me on how much the rig is worth, IMHO. Like all things on eBay, let the buyer beware...
cameraguy

Re: Cool Cam

Post by cameraguy »

David M. Leugers wrote: Please look closely at the photos in the ad and I believe the magazine if for 100ft rolls of Regular Double-8mm film and not Double S-8mm. Would make a big difference to me on how much the rig is worth, IMHO. Like all things on eBay, let the buyer beware...
The 100 foot mag is indeed for Double Super 8. It looks like with this camera you are getting a Super 8 cartridge mag, a Double 8 mag (25ft spools only) and the Double Super 8 mag (100ft spools). Only missing the Single 8.
supa_ate_sixteen

Span 8

Post by supa_ate_sixteen »

Here is a photo of some Span 8. Basically a double 8mm roll exposed once through the camera with a widened aperature. The book says it produces a 3:1 ratio!