Nikon R10 power zoom non-functional

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dadu007

Nikon R10 power zoom non-functional

Post by dadu007 »

Hi All,
I scored a Nikon R10 this past week. Its meter, film drive mechanism, and battery check appear to work well, but the power zoom is not functioning (in either T or W direction). I also have a Nikon R8 Super, and I'm assuming would work the same as on the R8, but it does not.

Does anyone have a name for a reputable and capable repair shop in the US (or maybe even Canada)? It's not a show stopper, what with the manual zoom, but it would be nice to fix it if the cost is not too high.

If you'll indulge me for a minute, this R10 has a pristine lens, came with a perfect battery holder, a close-up lens attachment (NIB), a slide-viewer attachment (mounts on lens to film 35mm slides!), a remote control cable (NIB), the cassette tape audio-sync cable, the original manual, and a S8 cartridge of Kodachrome 40 still in the film bay. About 10 feet had been exposed. Wondering if I should send it to Film Rescue International to see what footage can be recovered (I read they process Kodachrome in B&W still)? The only thing it didn't come with is the filter key, but I have one that came with my R8. :ymparty:

Thanks for any help and comments!
nikonr10

Re: Nikon R10 power zoom non-functional

Post by nikonr10 »

dadu007 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 pm Hi All,
I scored a Nikon R10 this past week. Its meter, film drive mechanism, and battery check appear to work well, but the power zoom is not functioning (in either T or W direction). I also have a Nikon R8 Super, and I'm assuming would work the same as on the R8, but it does not.

Does anyone have a name for a reputable and capable repair shop in the US (or maybe even Canada)? It's not a show stopper, what with the manual zoom, but it would be nice to fix it if the cost is not too high.

If you'll indulge me for a minute, this R10 has a pristine lens, came with a perfect battery holder, a close-up lens attachment (NIB), a slide-viewer attachment (mounts on lens to film 35mm slides!), a remote control cable (NIB), the cassette tape audio-sync cable, the original manual, and a S8 cartridge of Kodachrome 40 still in the film bay. About 10 feet had been exposed. Wondering if I should send it to Film Rescue International to see what footage can be recovered (I read they process Kodachrome in B&W still)? The only thing it didn't come with is the filter key, but I have one that came with my R8. :ymparty:

Thanks for any help and comments!
Hi did you check the power zoom switch ? see your manual ???????????
Also put fresh new Batterys & clean battery box & contacts .

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/99845 ... e=2#manual
dadu007

Post by dadu007 »

Are you referring to the "Power Zoom Speed Control"? Yes, I checked that. And yes, fresh batteries (I resurrected my R8 from a horribly corroded battery holder...)
As I said, the film transport motor works fine, which indicates the camera is getting power. The R10 uses the battery pack for both meter and film transport/zoom, unlike the R8 which has a separate power source for the meter.
I'm pretty good at basic troubleshooting; I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird trick about the power zoom in the R10 that is somehow NOT in the manual (which I have).
I suspected there is not a trick; there is just some issue with the internal zoom motor or switch.
I don't want to take the camera apart, and thus my question about repair shops.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

dadu007 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:42 pm Are you referring to the "Power Zoom Speed Control"? Yes, I checked that. And yes, fresh batteries (I resurrected my R8 from a horribly corroded battery holder...)
As I said, the film transport motor works fine, which indicates the camera is getting power. The R10 uses the battery pack for both meter and film transport/zoom, unlike the R8 which has a separate power source for the meter.
I'm pretty good at basic troubleshooting; I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some weird trick about the power zoom in the R10 that is somehow NOT in the manual (which I have).
I suspected there is not a trick; there is just some issue with the internal zoom motor or switch.
I don't want to take the camera apart, and thus my question about repair shops.
Try some electronic contact spray or a drop of Alcohol ! :-?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/electronic-spray-cleaner
pip

Post by pip »

Several years ago I had a Nikon R10 that was in superb cosmetic and functional condition, save that the power zoom did not work. I think the power zoom motor ran, but sounded very rough.

I understand from Click & Surr in Berlin that the power zoom of the R10 is unusual in that the motor can be run by moving the button a little and then the motor will engage with the zoom by moving the same button a bit further. This design enables the manual zoom to be very free. Most super 8 cameras are such that the manual zoom is stiff because the motor is linked to the zoom at all times whether or not the zoom is being powered.

To go back to my experience - I took the camera to a UK repairer who basically ruined the camera altogether. The camera ended up completely non functional. To be fair, I took the camera from the repairer after he had had it for some time and had messed it up. However, I doubt whether he could have repaired it even with more time.

Therefore, I would be extremely careful about having anyone touch the camera unless they are completely competent.

It is annoying for a feature to be non functional, but the manual zoom on the R10 is exceptionally good, so that a smooth zoom can be accomplished manually with little difficulty at whatever speed you require.