Can I pop in Fomapan 33'/10m DS8 in a Canon Zoom DS8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mnn414

Can I pop in Fomapan 33'/10m DS8 in a Canon Zoom DS8

Post by mnn414 »

Hey all,
I can't seem to find an answer to a question regarding this DS-8 camera:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_Zoom_DS-8

I'm about to come in possession of the Canon Zoom DS-8, and the instructions that came with the camera say to pop in a spool size of 100ft/30m. Since there is only manufacturer that I know who still makes DS8 film(Fomapan), I can't seem to find this size in the US. I have, however, found this size in a number of EU online stores.

I'm trying to avoid costly shipping fees(as well as X-RAY machines -- i'm assuming they will be xrayed when it enters the US), I was wondering if could just use the 33' version of this film:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ersal.html

The 33'/10m length is readily available to me, and I was wondering if I could just pop the 33' spool in this camera straight away(ie not respool it onto a 100ft one).

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this dilemma. If anyone does know where I could purchase 100' Fomapan R100, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks for your time,
Mike
mosesfilm

Re: Can I pop in Fomapan 33'/10m DS8 in a Canon Zoom DS8

Post by mosesfilm »

Simply respool the film onto a 100 spool. That is what Ive done!
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Unfortunately the Canon Scoopic DS-8 has the same spool spindles as the 16mm version has. You’ll have to rewind.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

I use Fomapan R100 DS8 of 10 meters with a Pathé DS8 camera, rewinding it on a 30mt spools, without any problem. :)