Professional Standard 8 editor viewer

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

7OSE9

Professional Standard 8 editor viewer

Post by 7OSE9 »

What do you think is the most professional and best editor viewer for Standard 8? Also very expensive.

I've always used the famous Goko A-303, a good big screen, but it has the "defect" of having a compatible sprocket with both Super 8 and Standard 8 (it's dual), so the film is not always stable.
I also used Ferrania old model, bright and good definition, but film pull out is not agile.
I also tested Zeiss Ikon Moviscop 8 mm, very good, but the screen it's not bright and don't have frame height adjustment.

With the Super 8 i'm fine with the Minette models, the film is treated with delicacy.
On Super8data site it's write that the S-4 model is also for Standard 8, but I've always seen it just for Super 8. Is't a mistake?

Thank you!
Mmechanic

Re: Professional Standard 8 editor viewer

Post by Mmechanic »

There has never been a professional viewer for Regular 8 film. It’s the smallest and most mass produced of all film formats. Maybe Super-8 was still more mass made but also full of plastic.

You have the Zeiss-Ikon Moviscop for 8mm film which is one of the better. The Minette is also okay. Don’t expect too much and keep on searching for the one suiting your needs best. To reconcile your frustration let me point out that you have far better 8mm projectors than with any other small-gauge format. The best 8mm projectors outperform even 16mm projectors, not side by side but relative to the size. It takes a very expensive 16mm machine to excel among all others. A Regular-8 projector can be had for A Fistful of Dollars today. They are repairable, serviceable. So where your viewer comes to a limit your projector will take over. Eumig P8, Paillard-Bolex M8, Paillard-Bolex 18-5, Bell & Howell Filmo 8, Ampro A-8, these are a few good makes.
doug

Post by doug »

I've not had problems with the stability of dual sprocket viewers. Maybe there's something not quite right with the rollers ?
Yes I agree Mmechanic, some of the old 8mm projectors are beautifully constructed. It's so sad to see them chucked away on city dumps. I'm also guilty of this... too many still 8-|
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

I have the Minette S4. It is Super8/Single8, but not Standard/Regular8. I have the catalogue. Models S1, S4 and S5 are all described as Super8. Model S5 600 can take 600ft reels. At the same time, they offered two ‘Professional ‘ models, P16 and P16 Color. The only Standard/Regular8 device was a set of rewinding arms. I can’t tell the date of the catalogue, but I’m guessing late ‘60s/early ‘70s.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

The Minette catalogue
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

A Bell & Howell Filmo 8 viewer might be worth a try.
Cleverly the film gate is on top for easy use and cleaning, the hot light bulb at the rear.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

The bell and Howell filmo is my all time favorite. I have it in 8mm and in 16mm with the extensions to the winders.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Thank you, boys, also for images!
It's true, the S4 model of Minette is only for Super 8/Single 8 (although they exist with front label of various colors, green, blue, red. If you do a search on the web, do it.), should correct the entry on super8data. Minette ("Eight" model) is one of best model for Regular 8, has a good press and is kind on the film.
Now I try a Yashica model, (Model II), we'll see...

But I know that Bell & Howell version for Regular 8 is only that (not more confortable, I've tried it): http://img.class.posot.it/it_it/2015/08 ... 031113.jpg

And not like 16mm version, like that (more confortable): https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/imag ... a6da88.jpg
slackercruster
Location: Born in L.A....NYC is 2nd. Home...Rustbelt is home base

Post by slackercruster »

Great thread! I settled on Yahsica, Minette and Zeiss. They all have issues, but these work best for me.