Who's Left Shooting 16mm?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Krasnogorskistan

Who's Left Shooting 16mm?

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

Kodak's announcement of its new Super8 camera looks set to very much raise the profile of that format. Likewise with their decision on Ektachrome. So just wondering how many people on here are still regularly shooting 16 mil? If so, what camera are you using, and is this instead of 8mm or in addition to it?

I myself have currently got a Krasnogorsk K-3 and a Kiev Alpha 16 as my 'user' cameras.
unsanity

Re: Who's Left Shooting 16mm?

Post by unsanity »

I am using S8, R8, DS8 and 16mm, a few reels per year.
My 16mm cameras are a Krasnogorsk 3, a Bell & Howell 240 and a Victor III with a Dallmeyer f2.9 lens from 1933 and it still works well with 2R film.
The Bell & Howell is the lightest and easiest to use with a long run time. Alongside its f1.9 20mm Comat lens, I have adapters for M42 and Pentax lenses plus a C mount 10mm Cinegon.
I develop black and white negative and reversal film at home.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I shoot Regular 8 and reverse it and do it as negative in preparation for 100 ft spools of 16mm. Both cameras are Bolex. I aim to make projection prints.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

I shoot both Super8 and 16mm.
for S8, I have a Beaulieu 5008s multispeed, but have dropped off using it because the built in light-meter stopped working (well, it works temperamentally)... Hoping to get one of the new Kodak cameras when they're released.
As for 16mm, I have a few cameras. For hand-held and travel I have a Beaulieu Reflex Control (a very compact and reliable camera if I don't get to overzealous with the turret). For experimental work I use an Arriflex 16 s/b (I can easily do multiple-exposures, and shoot in reverse, with the multi-speed motor). My main "production" camera is an Éclair ACL (with rock-steady images and stupid-easy loading magazines!).
I have also borrowed a super16 Aaton XTR Prod from a co-worker for use with a 'steadicam' (amazing camera, way outside my price range).

so far this year, I've shot around 900ft of expired 16mm (EXR 50D 7245, Vision 250D 7246), but plan on shooting much more (I have almost 6,000ft in my fridge/freezer right now) for an upcoming short film
doug

Post by doug »

Wonderful that Ektachrome looks like returning in S.8 and I do hope very much 16mm as well. I suppose Kodak will be soon making that decision. You'd think 16 and R.8 would be simpler to manufacture and get out to sell. But it must depend on the numbers they expect.
So here goes, Krasnogorskistan !
Yes I do use both super-8 and 16mm, but mainly 16. 16mm cameras are Bolex and I always have at least two loaded up with E100D. My freezer is well stocked with Ektachrome, although I can see it going down steadily. and I'll certainly be needing more this time next year I reckon. I used to get it all processed at Andec, and now since they stopped E6 I've being sending it to https://super8.nl/ who do a really great job. 16 as well as S.8 please note. However, Frank who runs this lab isn't equipped to do big quantities of 16mm, so let's hope Andec can restart their E6 machine once Ferrania takes off. Ferrania will be making 16mm soon hopefully, and maybe that will also encourage Kodak. If that happens I'll be buying both brands at some point.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Believe it or not, I am a fervent disliker of Super-8. Already the designation!

I have a few Paillard-Bolex H-16 models, a Ciné-Kodak Special, Revere 103, Beaulieu Reflex 16, Eumig C 16, and one Bell & Howell Filmo projector from the 1920s. Busy with an 8mm project at the moment I plan to return to 16 after that.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Far from leaving 16mm, I am using it more and more. Some find it hard to believe, but these days there isn’t much cost difference between Super 8 and 16mm. I am finding 16mm much easier as I can send exposed film to London for great and quick processing. I feel 16mm was ‘owned’ by professionals and for the individual shooting 16mm was daunting, getting access to equipment and labs was daunting, but in the last few years everything has changed professional equipment is now a lot cheaper and labs are more welcoming. I use an Éclair ACL 2 [which has been modified to Super 16], a Super 16 Ikonoskop a-cam and a Bell and Howell 627 [which is the same as the 240T].

Pav
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Allthough I haven't shot much film the past 3-4 years, this year is my comeback. :) Already planning 2 filmprojects + the additional family home movies. I really look forward to Ferrania releasing new film(s) and Kodak re-introducing the Ektachrome in Super8. I hope Ektachrome will also be re-released for 16mm at the same time.

I've got 1 Krasnogorsk K-3 which I have used quite a lot. Great camera! I also have a Bolex Rex 5 or 6 (?) which has been heavily modified. Super16, pl-mount and Nikon lens adapter. Wind-up camera. This will be my main camera and it fits great into todays 16x9 televisions/scans.

There are also so many great finds on eBay these days. Beautiful cameras at a bargain price.

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

Pj wrote:Far from leaving 16mm, I am using it more and more. Some find it hard to believe, but these days there isn’t much cost difference between Super 8 and 16mm. I am finding 16mm much easier as I can send exposed film to London for great and quick processing. I feel 16mm was ‘owned’ by professionals and for the individual shooting 16mm was daunting, getting access to equipment and labs was daunting, but in the last few years everything has changed professional equipment is now a lot cheaper and labs are more welcoming. I use an Éclair ACL 2 [which has been modified to Super 16], a Super 16 Ikonoskop a-cam and a Bell and Howell 627 [which is the same as the 240T].

Pav
Which lab do you use in London? I'm looking around for people who do Super 8 in the UK.
Thanks,
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pj

Post by Pj »

For 16mm I use the Kodak Lab, which used to be iDaillies, I am pretty sure they will start doing Super 8 soon, especially when the new Super 8 camera comes out. I have used Cinelab London too and they are just as good. For Super 8 I process Ektachrome at home, but for negative I send my films to Germany.

Pav
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

Pj wrote:For 16mm I use the Kodak Lab, which used to be iDaillies, I am pretty sure they will start doing Super 8 soon, especially when the new Super 8 camera comes out. I have used Cinelab London too and they are just as good. For Super 8 I process Ektachrome at home, but for negative I send my films to Germany.

Pav
Thanks!

Alex
Krasnogorskistan

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

Thanks for all the replies (so far).

I too would welcome the re-introduction of Ektachrome (and Ferrania) in 16mm, but even if it happens, (and as with super8 100d) I don't think it will be cheap.

My own shooting is mainly limited to (sunny) opportunities at the local surf-spots and documenting my (still young) family, and a little bit of life and the characters around my home town - all strictly 'amateur' film-making. I've owned many of the 'usual suspects' in super8, a few Leicina Specials, Nikon R10s, Zeiss GS8 and Eumig Nautica, Bolex K2 in reg8, and an SBM Bolex in 16mm.

I now only have a (very) small selection of glass for my 'amateur' 16mm cams (my K-3 is m42, the Kiev Alpha 16 is C mount), Soviet KMZ, CZJ zeiss, Pentax and a couple of Japanese TV zooms that I'm playing with at the moment.

I'm a fan of Vision3 negative, but have a Lomo tank for black & white home processing too.

Look forward to sharing ideas and info with you guys,

Ed
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Hey Ed! Great to hear you shoot surf. I also film a little surfing here in Norway. One of my next projects is a skateboard project which may also include some surf shots of my friend and I. This summer/fall is the plan. Look forward to do it.

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Mana

Post by Mana »

Ha! I think we have a lot in common Krasnogorskistan! I'm a serious amateur, shooting my family, surfing mostly. Happy to say I'm currently working on a super 8 short that includes me shaping and surfing with my friend Karu from Japan who's a hair stylist! See below for my weapons of choice!
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The Kodak announcement regarding the new Ektachrome makes no mention of 16mm. Only Super 8 and 35mm are listed as being released in Ektachrome in all the literature I have seen.

I have a Beaulieu 16mm camera i will never use. It uses a rechargeable battery in the camera grip. I recharged the battery and the camera runs. Anyone interested please contact me. I am located in the USA. International shipping may be expensive and I may ask for help with shipping expenses. If there is an interested party, I will get more info on the camera. Send me a private message.