UN54 R8 developing tips wanted

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

studiocarter2

UN54 R8 developing tips wanted

Post by studiocarter2 »

How to process this ORWO film without their chemicals is the topic. Have any readers developed this film in spiral tanks? That is what I will use. The Foma kit costs too much.
Thanks
maprice123

Re: UN54 R8 developing tips wanted

Post by maprice123 »

I have processed several rolls of UN54 ds8 and reg 8 over the years in my 30-meter lomo spiral tank.
Orwo's exact recipes and times are here:

http://www.filmotec.de/wp-content/uploa ... 4185-e.pdf

I simply used dektol or d-76 as developer/second developer and go 4-6 minutes on the initial development and 4-6 minutes on the second development. Their bleach formula is pretty standard. Keep it dark for the first 3 steps (first develop, wash, bleach).
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thanks for that. I assume a dilution of 1:2 and 20 C.
Since there are so many variables, tests are needed. I have 3 kinds of 110 reels, 2 are stainless steel for negatives, and 1 is plastic for reversing. They are 3 different lengths from 25 inches to almost 6 feet long. I have practiced loading them today. Not easy, the shorter ones are the most difficult. Regular 8mm film fits nicely. Short pieces, that is.
Old Bell & Howell 1-9 or 252 cameras are good for making such tests as very little film is needed to load in the gate. Actually, the gate is all there is, no drive wheels.
So, one tests using Dektol, another using D-76, how about some left over Fomapan Reversal kit chemicals, or Coffee?
I'm glad I collected all these things. It keeps me busy.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Hi
I think you will probably find that d76 is too low contrast a developed for bw reversal. It will give you a positive but it will bad a low contrast positive. Even dektol (4 min 21 degrees) is too low contrast. Most diy users mix up d19 for bw reversal. If it has to be an off the shelf developer the only one that I find gives results like d19 is Adit neutol. 12 min 21 degrees.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

I use Amaloco 6006 paper developer 1+4, it is the same as Kodak's multigrade paper developer.
First development 12 minutes and second development 6 minutes using the first developer again.

Julian.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thank you. I do have a bag of D19. The other ones I never heard of. I'll look them up.