Home scanning

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

unsanity

Home scanning

Post by unsanity »

This is my first upload to Vimeo https://vimeo.com/192605934.
I scan with a HD video camera with a reversed 60mm Componon enlarging lens attached, hung upside down filming directly from the film gate of a stripped down Eumig R2000 table projector.
I run the projector at 3 fps., camera set to 1080p 25. I do this to avoid flicker and chopping up the projector shutter. Time is not a big deal for me as amateur.
The video is brought up to speed and preliminary adjustments in Premiere and then rounded of with Film9 (thanks boys)!
The film is from my found film collection but I am curious to what people think of the scan.
The condition of the original makes a big difference, I am only allowed to load up to 500MB a week at Vimeo but more to follow later.
Julian.
slashmaster

Re: Home scanning

Post by slashmaster »

I still have yet to get a decent film to video setup myself. But looks like the autofocus on your camera keeps hunting in and out. Also you could get this stuff called "Filmguard" which will clean off the dirt and greatly reduce those scratches.
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

No, I believe the focus affect is from the original, I lock the video camera focus on manual after focusing and the film gate is good. I set the film in the gate by hand, not by automatic feed.
J.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

unsanity wrote:No, I believe the focus affect is from the original, I lock the video camera focus on manual after focusing and the film gate is good. I set the film in the gate by hand, not by automatic feed.
J.
Oh ok, so the film is warped. What size reel is that film on, a 50 footer? If you put it on a reel with a larger core and store it that way a few months that should make the film flatter.
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Interesting idea. The film is on a 200ft spool with a 50mm. diameter core.
I'll have to see if I have any larger core spools tomorrow.
Next week on vimeo, I'll put up another scan of a film that is in a better condition, just to compare.
J.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

unsanity wrote:Interesting idea. The film is on a 200ft spool with a 50mm. diameter core.
I'll have to see if I have any larger core spools tomorrow.
Next week on vimeo, I'll put up another scan of a film that is in a better condition, just to compare.
J.
Oh really? That's not where your problem is then. What does it look like when you project it on the screen at normal speed? Same problem?
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Yes, it looks the same on the screen when projected at normal speed. I have a nice Eumig P8 projector just for regular 8mm films.
The main difference I see in the scan is slightly blown out highlights. I scan with the "intelligent contrast control" on the video camera to try and compensate a bit.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

unsanity wrote:Yes, it looks the same on the screen when projected at normal speed. I have a nice Eumig P8 projector just for regular 8mm films.
The main difference I see in the scan is slightly blown out highlights. I scan with the "intelligent contrast control" on the video camera to try and compensate a bit.
Oh ok. I think what happened in the blurry part is the film got warped. Somebody momentarily put their thumb on the projectors inching knob to slow it down and they slowed it too much and the bulb warped it. What's it look like if you look at a part of the film that goes out of focus? Also what did you use for a backlight on that projector?
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Yes, on feeling the beginning of the film it is definitely warped a little bit. Something must have happened as you say.
I am using a 7watt led behind a piece of milk glass for illumination mounted in a holder that imitates the shape of a normal modern projector lamp. I can also use it in my 16mm projector.