Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Eric Milborn

Re: Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Post by Eric Milborn »

example of grain and flat colors

watch 720p hd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWLgok_tQc
Angus

Post by Angus »

Whereas I quite like that look...the colours seem realistic to me, not overblown like some modern filmstock seems to give.

Whatever Ferrania do, it won't please everyone.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Pj

Post by Pj »

The grain and colours look fine to me, I think the Agfa looks very good in 16mm, but not in Super 8 as the grain gets to much for it.

Pav
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Eric Milborn wrote:example of grain and flat colors

watch 720p hd

Yes it looks great, but S16 on an A-minima with pro scan/colorist is the top denominator for this film. Agfa in S8 is still underwhelming in my book.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Tscan wrote:
Eric Milborn wrote:example of grain and flat colors

watch 720p hd

Yes it looks great, but S16 on an A-minima with pro scan/colorist is the top denominator for this film. Agfa in S8 is still underwhelming in my book.
Such a nice Camera with now very limited film stock / to chose from ,
I think at one time so many of us once wished for this S16mm camera and the price ,
We could only dream of having yet using back in the good days of film and her stocks . :ymapplause:
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

BAC wrote:Please consider this my request for N8mm! If you made a batch I would stock up on it and I'm sure there are many other members of this forum that would do the same. My stock of Ektachrome 100D is dwindling and I'm starting to panic.

Do you have any arrangements with Wittner Cinetec to re-perforate 16mm into N8mm? I know they have a perforating machine and visited the factory in 2014 but there was no mention of N8mm film.

http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/info/ ... nglish.php
As Nicola indicated, we have the finishing machinery for all of those formats and many many more. We have the potential to create and finish just about any format of motion picture stock from 8mm to 70mm.

It really is just potential at this point, and will remain so for quite some time - and here's why: to install any particular finishing line carries a cost between 50K-100K. This covers moving it from storage to the LRF, then installing and testing everything to get it production-ready. In addition, we must balance our desire to make many formats against the realities of our production capacity. Until we are able to upgrade our capacity (years from now), all products will also carry an opportunity cost. This opportunity cost will, by necessity, drive our decision-making for some time.

That said, we have been thinking about ways to produce small batches without affecting our main production. We think we have some ideas that could work. But of course we won't know exactly what we can do about this small-batch production until our main production is running smoothly...
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

Angus wrote:Whatever Ferrania do, it won't please everyone.
Quite right. No company makes a product that pleases everyone. Such a product would be very boring, I think...

We will obviously make films with their own unique character. This character is a result of our staff, our machines, our knowledge base, our choice of materials, etc., all working in combination. We also have a strong commitment to stay very close to the film community and to listen to your desires. Plus we have the inherent flexibility of a small manufacturer.

We think that this combination of traits will allow us to make some really great products that a lot of people will love.

I know that our team is working extremely hard to impress with our first product. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say!
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

If it makes it easier for you guys I'll take this stuff in 400 foot or larger cans on cores. Don't need or want those small reels or plastic cartridges. I want economies of scale!...
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

filmferrania wrote:
Angus wrote:Whatever Ferrania do, it won't please everyone.
Quite right. No company makes a product that pleases everyone. Such a product would be very boring, I think...

We will obviously make films with their own unique character. This character is a result of our staff, our machines, our knowledge base, our choice of materials, etc., all working in combination. We also have a strong commitment to stay very close to the film community and to listen to your desires. Plus we have the inherent flexibility of a small manufacturer.

We think that this combination of traits will allow us to make some really great products that a lot of people will love.

I know that our team is working extremely hard to impress with our first product. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say!
Do you think we could see new Ferrania film on market before September 2017?
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Hi, any chance of producing your stock as DS8 on 25 ft or 100 ft rolls?
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Just having a color reversal stock in 16mm will be great. I remember the old Ektrachrome 160 which was pretty ugly but it had it's own character for sure. Completely different than the Ektachrome 64. When I need perfect I've got Vision 3 stocks. When I want character (which is most of the time on home projects) I'll be all over Ferrania. Bring it on. Imperfections are totally fine.

Also, cutting a few batches for Regular 8mm and DS8 would be a great idea...even if just to see how it sells.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I am merely an amateur who shoots for fun...but I would just appreciate a colour reversal stock to feed my super 8 and std 8 cameras. The only recent stock I didn't get on with was the Ektachrome VNF, though I did shoot some it looked rather murky to me....but still actually quite nice for night time low light shots.

To be honest, I'd take VNF over nothing!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

16mm reversal has a great look...kinda like those old Hollywood "home movies" of the stars from the 40's (which were almost never shot by the stars but rather the studio system's PR department). Sharp but with that pastel-like quality.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Will2 wrote:Just having a color reversal stock in 16mm will be great. I remember the old Ektrachrome 160 which was pretty ugly but it had it's own character for sure. Completely different than the Ektachrome 64. When I need perfect I've got Vision 3 stocks. When I want character (which is most of the time on home projects) I'll be all over Ferrania. Bring it on. Imperfections are totally fine.

Also, cutting a few batches for Regular 8mm and DS8 would be a great idea...even if just to see how it sells.
I agree reversal film is all about character, one that can't be duplicated. My request is some good color and sharpness, maybe low speed. I'd love to eventually see a whole range and some unique cameo stocks, just like Lomography does with stills. Maybe Ferrania could be the Lomography of MP stocks? I think that would be pretty cool :ymdevil:
Reborn member since Sept 2003
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

kontrabass888 wrote:Do you think we could see new Ferrania film on market before September 2017?
We had better be on the market WAY before that! By this time next year, I expect we'll have a couple of films. At minimum I would say we'll have at least another ISO or two in our color reversal...