Wittner 54 Super 8 cartridge.

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

alexmuir

Wittner 54 Super 8 cartridge.

Post by alexmuir »

Hi. I'm new here, and have question for more experienced members. I would like to know if the Wittner 54 cartridge is designed to leave the conversion filter in or out. It would also be helpful to know if the film speed notch is calibrated for 125 ASA, or 100. I understand the film should be rated at 125 for reversal, and 100 for negative processing. I presume that the notch can only identify one speed. I'm asking because a film I used part of in a Minolta Autopak 8 D10 came out fine, but the remainder exposed in the D6 camera was underexposed. The cameras have different film speed ranges, and different notch sensors. The Wittner website didn't give any info about the cartridge markings. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric Milborn

Re: Wittner 54 Super 8 cartridge.

Post by Eric Milborn »

hi,
the WITTNER B+W 54 Super 8 cartridges are notched 100D.
No filter notch, no conversion filter in the camera should be enabled.
I guess your D6 camera did misinterpret the notch as 160 asa -> yielding underexposure.
Next time you may use the D10 only or set exposure on D6 camera manually (if possible) or push the +1 (BLC) button (if available on a D6 camera) and exposure should be fine.
alexmuir

Re: Wittner 54 Super 8 cartridge.

Post by alexmuir »

Eric Milborn wrote:hi,
the WITTNER B+W 54 Super 8 cartridges are notched 100D.
No filter notch, no conversion filter in the camera should be enabled.
I guess your D6 camera did misinterpret the notch as 160 asa -> yielding underexposure.
Next time you may use the D10 only or set exposure on D6 camera manually (if possible) or push the +1 (BLC) button (if available on a D6 camera) and exposure should be fine.
Thank you, Eric, that tells me everything I need to know. The D6 only has an exposure lock, which could be used with a manual meter. The small size of the D6 is the attraction over the D10, which is massive by Super8 standards.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk