Quarz 1x8S-2, No aperture indicator

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

wstannl

Quarz 1x8S-2, No aperture indicator

Post by wstannl »

I just acquired a Quarz 1X8S-2. When I look in the viewfinder I see the aperture scale along the bottom of the finder but there is no needle to show the aperture value when I turn aperture dial from A through the full manual range. I see indications in the viewfinder that the focusing screen is scratched. With the front zoom lens removed I see the variation of aperture as I turn the dial so the problem seems to be with not seeing the needle. Note, there is no battery nor film in the camera.
Should I get some batteries for the meter and see if the needle appears or should it be there by default? Is my camera broken?
Thank you in advance.
wstannl

Re: Quarz 1x8S-2, No aperture indicator

Post by wstannl »

An update:
I got batteries and it made no difference. Based on much searching on this it seems the aperture needle indicator should be visible in the viewfinder with manual exposure. I am thinking there is physical damage at the point near the ground glass and aperture needle where the light is directed up through the viewing system. It looks like there is a clear path to the film gate though which is good.
On the short term I think I will "guestimate" the value on the aperture based on the position of the dial. Will use an external meter to measure the light.
Other comments still welcome, though!
unsanity

Re: Quarz 1x8S-2, No aperture indicator

Post by unsanity »

I also have a Quarz 1x8S-2 and yes, the apertures are indicated in the viewfinder. I am sorry but I have no idea what can be wrong with your camera.
I have bought several Russian cameras in the past, Fed, Quarz, Kiev, Krasnogorsk, Horizon, Zenit etc. and most were very good to excellent. A couple didn't make it. I have had four Quarz Zoom DS8-3's and managed to smash three myself. I have tried to repair things with no luck. Buying a replacement was always cheap enough.
My Quarz 1x8S-2 is actually quite good. The exposure meter seems a bit wobbly at times but does work. The lens is sharp enough. The only other thing is there is invariably a clear frame between shots.

Julian.