newbie has Super 8 questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

toptenmaterial

newbie has Super 8 questions

Post by toptenmaterial »

Hi everyone. I want to make a project with Super 8 but have never shot with film before (with the exception of photography). The camera that I'm going to be most likely using is a Kodak M2. Do I need some propiatary kind of film for this machine or will any Super 8 film do? Here is a list of Super 8 films stocks from B&H where I usually pick up my photo gear: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 4955497#so

Also, what about light? Apparently this model didn't have a meter. Will any of these film stocks hack it indoors or should I at least use a flood light? Thanks a lot!
Charlie Blackfield

Re: newbie has Super 8 questions

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question: Of the films listed on the page you quote, the Fomapan is the only one that won't fit a Kodak M2 camera. For indoors use, the best film will be 500T, but it's very grainy - best used only for close-ups rather than wide shots. 200T (for colour shooting) or Tri-X (for black and white) will be suitable for both indoors and outdoors. Using additional lights indoors may still be advisable if your interiors tend to be a bit on the low light side of things. 50D is definitely for outdoors only. The Adox film is also best used only outdoors, although it could be used indoors with a bit of additional lighting.

In any case, you will need an external light meter. A cheap and relatively easy-to-use option would be a 1960s or so Weston ciné light meter. Beware though that it will measure film speed in 'Weston speed' which is 4/5 of the value of ASA/ISO. So the Weston speed settings for the various film stocks would be 400 for the 500T, 160 for the 200T and Tri-X, 40 for the 50D, and 80 for the Adox. When shooting in daylight (either outdoors or in a room lit by daylight) with the 500T or 200T, you will need to leave the camera's filter in place, in which case ASA/ISO film speeds would be 320 for the 500T or 125 for the 200T, which gives you (roughly) 250 Weston speed for the 500T and 100 for the 200T.

This is only a rule of thumb, and I hope it's not too confusing.

By the way, it's best to post your questions into the 'Small Gauge Film Forum' which tends to be the most popular discussion forum on here.

Charlie
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: newbie has Super 8 questions

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Moving topic to Small gauge forum.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations