canon ds 8 camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

nikonr10

canon ds 8 camera

Post by nikonr10 »

Hello is it worth geting a Canon ds8 camera as it's seems very hard to find ds8 film stock as now ?
Will2

Re: canon ds 8 camera

Post by Will2 »

No. Just load a regular 8 camera 4 times.

You you want that camera, get a Scoopic 16 MS, you'll be much, much happier with the quality.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

It is a great camera. One of my all time favorites to shoot with. So much so that when I got mine, I sold off all my S-8mm cartridge cameras I had amassed over 30 years. Most cameras are still in great shape so you should be able to find an excellent working example. Film is still available and if you get it for the right price, it could turn out to be a great investment if additional film stocks become available. Shooting on DS8mm has so much going for it (the best registration, high quality images, 2x running time of cartridge film, least expensive S8mm film stock per foot, great savings on development costs, etc) I think it is really worth the effort to keep it alive.

Beware, what Will said is true... 16mm Canon footage will always blow away even DS8mm Canon footage, It alas comes at a hefty price per minute of film. If Vision 3 50D becomes available in DS8mm, I can't wait to see HD and 2K transfers.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Will2 wrote:You you want that camera, get a Scoopic 16 MS, you'll be much, much happier with the quality.
And you'll be able to get film for it for quite a while, no matter how bleak the Kodak situation becomes.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

David M. Leugers wrote:It is a great camera. One of my all time favorites to shoot with. So much so that when I got mine, I sold off all my S-8mm cartridge cameras I had amassed over 30 years. Most cameras are still in great shape so you should be able to find an excellent working example. Film is still available and if you get it for the right price, it could turn out to be a great investment if additional film stocks become available. Shooting on DS8mm has so much going for it (the best registration, high quality images, 2x running time of cartridge film, least expensive S8mm film stock per foot, great savings on development costs, etc) I think it is really worth the effort to keep it alive.

Beware, what Will said is true... 16mm Canon footage will always blow away even DS8mm Canon footage, It alas comes at a hefty price per minute of film. If Vision 3 50D becomes available in DS8mm, I can't wait to see HD and 2K transfers.
I've been thinking of drilling holes in the center of the gate of a ds8 camera to have removable pegs so that a single row of super 8 can go through it. Then breaking open a vision 3 50D cartridge in the dark to put on a reel. Problem is I'm not sure what to tell the guys at the lab when its ready for them.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

David M. Leugers wrote:It alas comes at a hefty price per minute of film. If Vision 3 50D becomes available in DS8mm, I can't wait to see HD and 2K transfers.
The transfer costs are the same for HD and 2K, so the price jump is in the actual cost of film. I get that, but the jump in quality is night and day. And I've found that I simply shoot less film but more quality shots...I think about it more. I still always have Super 8 cameras available but if I'm going to carry around that heavy of a camera (Canon DS8) then I'd rather just keep it 16mm and pick up a lighter, smaller camera for Super 8.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Interesting observations, Will, as I have recently increased my single perf 16mm shooting. V3 50D is a gorgeous stock. My local lab has started to offer processing/contact print packages. I predominately scan but I am intrigued. If there were a way to encode metadata on film to allow conformation with my intricate digital edits.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Nicholas Kovats wrote:If there were a way to encode metadata on film to allow conformation with my intricate digital edits.
There is, its called a "slate." :lol:

Seriously though, just get in the habit of slating everything, just a few frames will do. I tend to use a standard dry erase white one but I have also used the iPad ones which is nice because it has timecode. Unless you're talking about metadata on the prints...

If you're cutting prints (or negatives) then I'm guessing key code is what you'd be dealing with. I've never had to use that but I think it can be encoded into your transfer which is a smart idea so if you need to cut negative down the road you can. Talk to your telecine people and they'll know all about that.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Yes, I have also pondered usage of the iPhone/iPad digital slates. I was actually referring to metadata recorded frame by frame but an encoded burst for a few frames at the head of a shot might suffice. M atching keycode must be an exercise in patience. I believe keycode readers exist for this purpose. I don't believe bitworks has such a device but it might be interesting to enquire as John is also an expert in soundtrack recovery using digital techniques.
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
David M. Leugers

The transfer costs are the same for HD and 2K, so the price jump is in the actual cost of film. I get that, but the jump in quality is night and day. And I've found that I simply shoot less film but more quality shots...I think about it more. I still always have Super 8 cameras available but if I'm going to carry around that heavy of a camera (Canon DS8) then I'd rather just keep it 16mm and pick up a lighter, smaller camera for Super 8.
Good points Will. It is an old argument going back to Bolex H-8 cameras. I look at it from a different angle. but from the same sentiment = I want the best images so I think it is worth it to lug a 16mm sized R8mm or DS8mm camera around. I understand the attraction to shooting with S8mm cartridge cameras. When it works good (camera AND film cartridges) they are great and fun to use. Anything of major importance to me I shoot 16mm. I too would rather shot less if I have to just to shoot 16mm. It is that good. However, shooting DS8mm with the Canon DS8mm is a good alternative when the economics doesn't allow filming in 16mm. It is all a matter of choice and personal opinion, but I think V50D shot DS8mm with a SuperDuper widened gate will provide a viable format for lots of film makers.
aj

Post by aj »

slashmaster wrote:
David M. Leugers wrote:It is a great camera. One of my all time favorites to shoot with. So much so that when I got mine, I sold off all my S-8mm cartridge cameras I had amassed over 30 years. Most cameras are still in great shape so you should be able to find an excellent working example. Film is still available and if you get it for the right price, it could turn out to be a great investment if additional film stocks become available. Shooting on DS8mm has so much going for it (the best registration, high quality images, 2x running time of cartridge film, least expensive S8mm film stock per foot, great savings on development costs, etc) I think it is really worth the effort to keep it alive.

I've been thinking of drilling holes in the center of the gate of a ds8 camera to have removable pegs so that a single row of super 8 can go through it. Then breaking open a vision 3 50D cartridge in the dark to put on a reel. Problem is I'm not sure what to tell the guys at the lab when its ready for them.
I have given the idea of single strand S8 in a DS8 a thought before. One might fill spools on one side with a disc or something. Handling the film in the camera is possible. On my TriFilmatic the sprocket teeth are unfortunately on the second side. I.e. the film needs to roll as 2nd half. The DS8 back cannot start directly as second half. Somehow it keeps track :(
No need to drill holes etc. Just fix a piece of film on the unused half.

With so much trouble to expose a bit of S8 with a pressure plate you might just as well opt for refilling Fuji Single-8 cartridges.
Or get a large sprocket Mekel. Or Logmar. Whenever that comes available.
Kind regards,

André
Will2

Post by Will2 »

David M. Leugers wrote:I want the best images so I think it is worth it to lug a 16mm sized R8mm or DS8mm camera around. I understand the attraction to shooting with S8mm cartridge cameras. When it works good (camera AND film cartridges) they are great and fun to use. Anything of major importance to me I shoot 16mm. I too would rather shot less if I have to just to shoot 16mm. It is that good. However, shooting DS8mm with the Canon DS8mm is a good alternative when the economics doesn't allow filming in 16mm. It is all a matter of choice and personal opinion, but I think V50D shot DS8mm with a SuperDuper widened gate will provide a viable format for lots of film makers.
I don't mean to slam it, absolutely it has a place; It's just with Super 8 I'm thinking more about portability and ease of use. If I really want good quality in Super 8 I pick up my 4008. I know the DS8 will give a slightly better result than that camera and last longer.

I really hope DS8 is around for years, I'd hate to see any film format go away.

I love handing out Canon 310xl cameras to the kids and letting them have a good time. I have about 10 of those cameras and treat them like they are disposable, which they kind of are. The autofocus is horrible and the lens blows, but when edited well it can work great...much of this was shot by a 6 year old (yes, it looks like it) but if it is in focus and a little steady it's probably the 4008.

https://vimeo.com/28847135
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Thank you all" for your feed back on the canon Ds8" so much emotional response on this camera and format ,
had a chance to get one ,only thing that put me of for now is finding ds8 film stock ? so will hang back for now ! and use what I have a ready ,
David M. Leugers

I don't mean to slam it, absolutely it has a place; It's just with Super 8 I'm thinking more about portability and ease of use. If I really want good quality in Super 8 I pick up my 4008. I know the DS8 will give a slightly better result than that camera and last longer.

I really hope DS8 is around for years, I'd hate to see any film format go away.

I love handing out Canon 310xl cameras to the kids and letting them have a good time. I have about 10 of those cameras and treat them like they are disposable, which they kind of are. The autofocus is horrible and the lens blows, but when edited well it can work great...much of this was shot by a 6 year old (yes, it looks like it) but if it is in focus and a little steady it's probably the 4008.
Yeah, and I certainly do not want to see S8mm cartridge film go away either. No doubt at all the 4008 produces exceptional images and if I had one I would still shoot with it.

I love the idea of putting film cameras in the hands of kids. I used a couple of the Kodak XL S8mm cameras (the binocular looking things) for my two boys to use years ago. Lots of fun and it was simply amazing how much of the footage was sharp. The fixed focus Ektar prime lens on them coupled with a good auto exposure system produced surprising results but tended to wash out highlights on bright sunny days on Kodachrome. They died due to the melting gear syndrome as well as several Kodak M24 Instamatic replacement cameras...

I loved your film, thanks for sharing!
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

That a nice Film there Will '