Kodak Touts Film Labs

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Kodak Touts Film Labs

Post by Will2 »

Just received this email from Kodak talking about the 100 labs across the world that process 16mm and 35mm (for now...)

Kodak Lab Email

Here's their updated lab list which is also available in their mobile app:

Kodak World Lab List

If your lab is still working and not listed tell them to get on this list!
Nigel

Re: Kodak Touts Film Labs

Post by Nigel »

Got the same email this morning.

The writing is on the wall. And, it's not looking good.

Wasn't surprised when Alpha Cine closed though. I was never a big fan of their processing.

Good Luck
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

My friend's lab isn't on the list yet, but that's just because it's still somewhat more oriented towards amateurs. That should change soon though, he's moving his lab soon to a bigger location and building a new machine that should be able to process 35mm as well. Also available will be ultrasound cleaning, a bit later 16mm&35mm workprints and scans. Whole business is adjusted for smaller amounts of film processed. Quite enough for one man business.

Glory days of film are gone, many more labs will close their doors but I'm rather certain that even then there will be many labs left and those will take the business that remains.

Some examples by different artists, processed and scanned at alhoslab.fi
http://samisanpakkila.com/2013/09/death ... lack-acid/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55pvT5NHJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZLSNfcZopA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_sbZrsRC1s
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

I should really get on that list as well. It's a strange one however. For some reason I've been resisting it for years. I think its because Gauge Film caters for a lot of independent artists, amateurs and small businesses too and I really enjoy that side of it. Lately we've been getting lots of more corporate orders from bigger television companies and it feels a little different. Still great but all the same different. I recently contacted one of the Labs on the list in the UK to do some developing for me and they turned my business away because they had too much hollywood type corporate stuff to process. I guess I'm scared of my humble beginnings going astray. I guess we'll see what happens but I want to stay loyal to the hobbyists and artists. Those are the people who have kept me going for the last few years.

Best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I'm not sure if these labs are all "Kodak Certified" or not. I know that Kodak used to have a program that would inspect labs and give them awards based on their methods and quality. Now they are probably more happy just to have the labs open.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Kevin,

From your post it sounds like the market for film is growing again UK that is), am I right in this assessment? I remember last time I had some film developed by you I had to wait a long time because you had so many orders for processing (while at the same time keeping all your customers very well informed of progress).

Jeremy Cavanagh
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi Jeremy,

Indeed, I'm still very busy at the moment (in the middle of a x36 batch as we speak) but I'm finally getting back to my 4 week turnaround now and at the end of this month everything should be back under control. It's been my best year for developing so far. I think it's probably a combination of word of mouth and the telecine service opening things up a bit. If service continues to stay steady I'll gradually get off eBay and open up an ecommerce website. Hopefully when things calm down a bit over the winter i can start looking into processing Neg as well.

All the best
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk