Bolex D8L service instructions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

cameratech

Bolex D8L service instructions

Post by cameratech »

Hi all,

I've just finished writing up a little online guide for servicing a Bolex D8L, which might also be useful for the other pocket Bolex models, since they share the same mechanics. I've tried to keep it simple, so anyone with a few basic tools can follow the procedure. Because they were so well-made and designed, a little work can usually bring them back to great condition. It's not a completely thorough service guide, but should still be helpful I hope.

Any feed-back would be appreciated (especially if I've got something wrong, Jean-Louis!). Also if anyone has suggestions for another service guide they'd like to see, let me know. 16mm cameras are generally too complex for this kind of thing, but I figure if someone screws up their little 8mm camera they won't try and sue me. :wink:

Here's the link:
http://cinetinker.blogspot.com.au/
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
Wade

Re: Bolex D8L service instructions

Post by Wade »

Wow. That's very easy to understand. Good photos to illustrate the process. Thanks.
Wade
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

Just had a quick glance. Great work Dom!

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

This is a beautiful document, Don! Thank you for providing this "open-source'd" labour of love. I would love to see one of these tiny precision jewels converted to the UltraPan8 format albeit with parallax viewing. God job!
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

Thanks for the feedback kind sirs!

Here's hoping standard 8 film survives a bit longer, as the cameras will certainly be around for a long time.

Unless someone has a particular request I might do a service guide for the Beaulieu MR8 next.
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Great work Dom. Well put together and that camera you have in the staring role is so cute. I'd never seen one before.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Thank you very much indeed! Great photos also. We need more of this for our cameras!
BAC

Post by BAC »

Great instructions! I have one question. Do you have to remove the front plate with the turret to get the spring motor out?
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

BAC wrote:Great instructions! I have one question. Do you have to remove the front plate with the turret to get the spring motor out?
Yes it won't come out otherwise.
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
DTNethery

Post by DTNethery »

Great tutorial and much appreciated . I picked up a Bolex D8L on eBay that appears to have been well taken care of , stored carefully , so the motor purrs along nicely , no grinding or clunking sounds . The real test will be running film through it. But if I need to clean/lubricate it , now I know how !
cameratech wrote: Here's hoping standard 8 film survives a bit longer, as the cameras will certainly be around for a long time.
The standard 8mm film is hard to find , but I have a stupid question: theoretically WHY wouldn't we expect that standard 8mm film could continue as long as 16mm continues and as long as someone (Wittner , etc.) maintain the machines to perforate 8mm sprocket holes (and of course the machines to slit the 16mm-wide film into two halves) ?

These Bolex cameras (and other brands of high-end 8mm cameras) take some amazingly high quality images. I hope someone keeps supplying the standard 8mm film for many years to come.