Sending flm to Dwaynes - expiration and dirt query

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nrk

Sending flm to Dwaynes - expiration and dirt query

Post by Nrk »

I am due to send my first and last batch of Kodachrome to Dwaynes tomorrow, some of which is dated 82 and the rest is 97; am I supposed to specify which is which or will they just get processed together regardless?

Also, I am a big fan of chemical grime on film and love the look of hand processed film, is there any way that I can ask the people at Dwaynes not to clean the film too much afterwards? I seriously doubt they would humour me given the workload they will have processing everybody's remaining film but is it even worth a try?

thanks
aj

Re: Sending flm to Dwaynes - expiration and dirt query

Post by aj »

Push and pull is no longer available per 23rd december.
Likely giving the films a standard process is best as you cannot know what which films need what correction.

Asking them to fcuk up your film is most likely an insult and how would they possibly do that in continuous processing machine? Wreck the whole collection from one holding reel?
Kind regards,

André
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

dwayne's will only process Kodachrome "process K14" . If your older film does not specify process k14, the film will be returned unprocessed. Check your older film for K14 on the cart somewhere. Older carts have only "K40". Newer K14 carts ahve "KMA40" Check your carts before sending and save time and trouble.

John S.
Nrk

Post by Nrk »

I can't see any reference to K14 on any of my carts, '82 or '97! Does this mean all the film I shot can't be processed?!
einzelhaft83

Post by einzelhaft83 »

Nrk wrote:I can't see any reference to K14 on any of my carts, '82 or '97! Does this mean all the film I shot can't be processed?!
I have already sent my last cart in so I don't have any to reference, but I think all Kodachrome that would have expired in '82 or later would be process K14. I know the Kodachrome II was a different process, but I am fairly sure those would have had '70s expiration dates.
Nrk

Post by Nrk »

The '82 and '97 carts appear to be identical in their use of the k40 term and lack of any reference to k14. I know that the buyer I bought the film from had some processed with the last couple of years at Dwaynes so hopefully all should be good.
Nrk

Post by Nrk »

The bottom of both boxes say Kma40. sunday, monday, happy days.

ta'
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

g'day,
don't expect much (or even possibly anything at all) from the 1982 Kodachrome. Sure if it had been refrigerated for 28 years it would produce a pink image for you, but it is likely now to only yield clear film ... Let us know what you got out of interest.
If you want to make your film look dirty, get some wind arms (a super 8 editor viewer would be fine) and spool the film between the arms, spraying it with a mist of water, then sprinkle whatever dust you want. Don't wind it up wet however, you will have to dry each bit with a hair dryer before it goes back on the take up spool.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

In my experience (and I'm not saying this to criticize them, merely as an observation) K40 from Dwayne's always comes back looking a lot dirtier than E6 from other labs that I have used.

Possibly this is simply due to the fact that there are more baths/stages in the process, therefore more opportunity for contaminants/dust to get into the chemistry???

Having said all that, the few E6 films that I have seen processed by them (only 3 or 4 that I can immediately recall) also struck me as being pretty dirty...
Will2

Post by Will2 »

While we're all glad that at least one lab has been processing Kodachrome, Dwayne's was never exactly an award-winning lab that top professionals would go to for the best work. It's a decent and fairly reliable consumer lab. It wasn't "chosen" to be the last Kodachrome lab because of their amazing quality, it was the lab that wanted it and worked it out with Kodak.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Before the rumor mill starts getting out of control.

As of noon today I shipped 5x (1981/82) cold storage KMA-40 (K40) Kodachrome S8 cartridges to Dwaynes. I just got off the phone with them and they assured me they will be processed. They also stated that KMA-40 is equivalent to K-14 process.

No. I am not expecting clear or pinkish film as confirmed by the seller of the film ...who is a friend and has confirmed a good color range with his own shooting .

I am expecting some color shift and my efforts are experimental so if need be I do not mind duplicating my work with "fresher" stock.

K40 is what I had access to at the time and I was seized with a romantic notion of committing some experimental tests to the last of the glorious film Mohicans. :)
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I had 2 batches of kodachrome film processed. One with an expiry of 80/81 was had a pink hue in dark shadows but almost okay in bright sunshine, overexposed 2 stops, with the 85a filter making no difference. K25 from the last batch in 2004 was pinkish and dark.
If kodachrome incorporates the dye into the processing, not sure why here the color is the issue. I'd expect that from a film stock which has the dye in the film. With age the x chrome stock would expect to fade.
This nearly seems not worth it to run out remaiming kodachrome stock when one can shoot fresh film, b/w and negative color film and whatever is left on that front.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Hey Freedom4kids,
out of curiosity, do come back to this post when you get your rolls back. Would be interesting to know. I hope they turn out well. 30 years is a long time, but lets see.
Just by the way, KMA 40 is the abreviated name of the stock (the 'A' meaning 'type A' - daylight kodachrome didn't have this letter, just KM25 if I recall correctly), and K14 is the name of the process.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Angus

Post by Angus »

All Kodachrome from mid 1973 onwards is K14.

The previous K12 process was phased out in the very early 70's.

About 6 years ago I used some K25 reg 8 dated 1977 and 1978 and apart from approx half a stop loss in sensitivity they came out fine. But your mileage will vary. K14 material does tend to go pink when it is several years expired.

Dwayne's aren't as good as the old Kodak labs but they do a fair job on the processing. I do think that if there's a problem it is dirt/dust rather than the process and chemicals. The same goes for E6. I prefer Andec but they tend to be more expensive. Leo Stehlnik in the UK is possibly better than Dwayne's...but so far I've only had him do 2 rolls for me.

E6 is not very difficult, if I had more time I'd be processing lots of it myself.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The only reason to use kodachrome at this point in time is if you are using S8 sound cartridges. I would think that everything is better with new modern fresh film. Unless of course you want some funky weird look.

John S.