Does VNF process resulting blue cast on our 8mm process?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

winbert

Does VNF process resulting blue cast on our 8mm process?

Post by winbert »

Ektachrome 64T is processed with the correct E6 chemistry and not the VNF process that some labs use which can result in a blue cast on your treasured processed film.
The above statement is found on http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/Page5_1.htm, a UK based processing service (see the bottom page).

What is surprising me is that all my E64T processed by Dwayne do have that blue cast although I have shot them with correct filter.

It is also for my last 4 K40s (from batch 2005) that just coming from Dwayne also have that blue cast making me so disappointed with the result. Kodachrome is supposed to have natural color. I did my shot during this summer in a hoping to get as much as possible color in my shooting but they were returned in that blue cast.

So can we say that Dwayne uses VNF in the process?

thanks

winbert
JCook

Re: Does VNF process resulting blue cast on our 8mm process?

Post by JCook »

I know it doesn't help matters any but your Kodachrome was definately not processed using the VNF or E6 process. Kodachrome uses a K-14 process, this is in no way similar to the others listed above. If they had processed K40 using non-K14 I'd imagine the result to look more monochrome, black and white with a hue.

I have several carts of VNF sitting on ice but haven't shot them due to lack of processing support. I didn't know anyone was still processing VNF using the correct chemicals.
winbert

Post by winbert »

Thanks for the explanation for K40, but what about with my E64T? Can they be processed with VNF?

Lastly, do you guys get your films from Dwyane feel they are having too much blue cast ?

Please report here, so I know it is not only me.

regards
einzelhaft83

Post by einzelhaft83 »

I believe that the VNF chemicals are no longer available anywhere. I have had several rolls of VNF process film done with E6. I suppose there is a little bluish cast to them.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Certainly Dwayne's don't use the VNF-1 process. Indeed if you send them a VNF-1 film they are likely to send it back un-processed.
If both rolls of K40 and of 64t shot by you are coming back slightly blue, then it is most likely that your camera's internal filter (which is a thin slip of orange gelatin) has faded. This would effect all tungsten balanced films in the same way and is not an unusal problem. These filters, like super 8 cameras that house them, are all 30 or 40 years old now. If you have more tungsten balanced film to shoot, don't use the internal filter. Get yourself an external 85 filter and try that. Remember to de-activeate the camera's internal filter with the appropriate screw, key or switch.
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au