It exists, it's real!! new Cinevia is here in my hands...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ugo

It exists, it's real!! new Cinevia is here in my hands...

Post by Ugo »

Now I'll shoot it to test the new Cinevia!!!
Beaulieu

Re: It exists, it's real!! new Cinevia is here in my hands...

Post by Beaulieu »

Hello,

where did you buy?
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I don´t get this... it says "For tungsten: Filter no. 80B."

So is this film daylight balanced or tungsten balanced? I thought that 80B was supposed to be used when you shoot tungsten balanced films in daylight. If you shoot daylight balanced films in tungsten, well 80B is just plain wrong.

Or am I missing something?
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

it says on the box to shoot as tungsten, then the 80b to the front to neutralise the 85. I imagine for exposure on all cameras.maybe.
Uppsala BildTeknik

gahoona wrote:it says on the box to shoot as tungsten...
Then the camera will expose without any filter. Correct? Than the Cinevia is daylight balanced.

gahoona wrote:...then the 80b to the front to neutralise the 85.
I thought the 85B was a little bit more warm on color compared to the 85 filter. How would a 85B "neutralise" anything? It would only make it even more orange/yellow in color.

To shoot daylight balanced film in tungsten you need a blue filter. I have no idea what filter number though, but I do know the correct blue filter will "eat up" more light than a 85 filter (or a 85B filter).
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

to be honest you got me there,buggered if I know.
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

I get it now. 80b for daylight film in artificial light. use the filter under lights.
Uppsala BildTeknik

gahoona wrote:80b for daylight film in artificial light. use the filter under lights.
Yesx, I believe that is what they are saying. But the problem is that is is totally incorrect. Where they should recommend a blueish/cold filter they are recommending a orange/warm filter.

The results will be horrible if you expose daylight balanced film and filter it with 85B.... or wait a minute now...

...one quick googling later...

Upps, I think I read wrong (or just didn´t think long enough with my tiny brain), they are recommending a 80B filter, and I was thinking of a 85B filter!

80B filter is blue. 85B is orange. There is no problem... I just mixed up 80B and thought of it like 85B (I had just spoken to a client about 85 and 85B filters...). :mrgreen: :roll:
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Hi there, I'd like to know if they (GK) did indeed end up with a viable new cartridge design or are they loading it in Kodak cartridges? It would be interesting to see the cartridge itself...
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
christoph

Post by christoph »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:80B filter is blue. 85B is orange. There is no problem...
.. other then the fact that you need put up enough tungsten light to expose at 16ASA :) i've shot some films with 50ASA under tungsten light, and it was quite difficult (you need big units and have to use fairly direct lighting).

also technically you'll need a 80A, not 80B unless you are shooting with 3400K lights (which is very unlikely). which gives us 12ASA :)

so all that said, usually the best bet is to use daylight balanced lamps, HMI and Kino-Flos if you can afford them, or just high quality daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs/tubes (look for high Ra color index)
++ c.
Last edited by christoph on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uppsala BildTeknik

No need for the actors to use clothes then, it will be very hot under all those lamps... :mrgreen:
christoph

Post by christoph »

yeah, and forget about make-up....

bit more seriously, using daylight balanced film only really makes sense for scenes where we have daylight in the scene anyway. then is you need additional light, like fill, it's preferable to use CTB gels on the light or better even daylight balanced lamps.

the only situation where using a 80A filter in front of the lens makes sense (well kind of) is when you have tungsten balanced light sources in the picture that you cant change and need them fairly neutral, and don't have tungsten balanced film stock to choose from (ie if you're shooting super8 reversal ;). even then you're much better off with Ektachrome 100D then Velvia though.

problem is that those christmas tree candles will completely be drowned by the 5KW that you need to put up, so using vision2 200T and making a print would still be way preferable.

++ c.
christoph

Post by christoph »

richard p. t. wrote:Hi there, I'd like to know if they (GK) did indeed end up with a viable new cartridge design or are they loading it in Kodak cartridges? It would be interesting to see the cartridge itself...
from what i've read they were thinking about using the kodak design at some point, not sure what the final outcome was.

schmalfilm might have more details about this, they have been following the progress quite closely and should have a 50D and 100D comparison in the next issue.

++ christoph
Clapton Pond

Post by Clapton Pond »

And only 32.5 euros each... without processing! Too much for me, I'm afraid.
https://www.slaughterback.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/slaughterbackfilms
https://www.gamine.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaminefilms
aj

Post by aj »

It is including processing.

All this webinfo is way behind. If it becomes still a viable product it is despite the marketing rather thanks to the efforts. How stupid can people be with their outside appearence.

Juergen of Smallfilm is testing a first batch of Cinevia. As reported on his website. Among the Kodak ups and downs. :)
Kind regards,

André