Film Festival Idea

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Film Festival Idea

Post by jaxshooter »

I have this idea in my head for a film festival for folks who love the art of the silent movie with a live musical accompanyment. Projects could be submitted as collaborations between musicians and filmmakers. The music and film could be any style or genre between 3 to 8 minutes in length. The films would be judged on both the content of the film and the quality of the performance/ exhibition.

I'm thinking, open it to all analogue film formats, no sync sound dialogue as the film is to be played with a live musical performance of an original song. The films could be any speed 16 to 24 fps, maybe the filmmaker can also serve as projectionist with a variable speed projector, adjusting the speed of the projector with the tempo changes in the music.

Musical accompanyment can be anything from a single performer to a full band or orchestra, perhaps the entries can be segregated into categories of musical genre and number of performers.

Any other ideas?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Rick Palidwor

Re: Film Festival Idea

Post by Rick Palidwor »

I have been doing something similar with the Super 8 Circus here in Toronto for the past 8 years. We project about 20 super 8 films with a live band playing along. This year it will be held on March 13.

Also in TOronto, the 8Fest (coming up in late February) regularly includes "performance-projections" in their program.

Marty now that you are living nearby you will have to check these out.

Rick
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Thanks Rick, sounds awesome.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Rick, is the featured music all originally composed by the artists?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

jaxshooter wrote:Rick, is the featured music all originally composed by the artists?
I have had 3 different bands over the years, all jazz-ish, and they either improvise cold off the floor as the films screen or sometimes they see the films in advance, so are a little more prepared but it's still largely improv. With one of the bands I know their repertoire well so I would sometimes write a set-list for them, based on the order I ganged the films.,

Probably not exactly what you are thinking but worth mentioning. At the 8Fest if they delve here it is probably a lot more planned out and intentional.

Rick