DIY Telecine Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

rlorenz2

DIY Telecine Question

Post by rlorenz2 »

Does it help to add a ir/uv filter before the ccd camera? if so what will it improve on the final image? I am using a led as the light source.
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
Mitch Perkins

Re: DIY Telecine Question

Post by Mitch Perkins »

rlorenz2 wrote:Does it help to add a ir/uv filter before the ccd camera? if so what will it improve on the final image? I am using a led as the light source.
Interesting question. You could try inserting the filter while running a test reel and see immediately what results.....

In order to avoid multiple posts, once you've hit "submit", wait ten seconds and no longer before simply clicking on "Small gauge film forum" at the top; almost every time, your post will appear even though you didn't receive the "successful post" message.

For longer, more involved posts, select all your words and copy them; if your post doesn't appear (it will), you can just paste rather than re-writing everything....

Mitch
granfer

Post by granfer »

The CCD camera should already contain such a filter, but there is no reason why you shouldn't add a second one. Depending on the quality of the built in one, there may be an increase in contrast and sharpness of the captured image.
Just a tip though... because of their size external filters can be expensive. An admirable substitute is the "heat glass" from a slide projector or enlarger. Borrow one and try it; you can always put it back if it doesn't improve the picture!
Granfer
rlorenz2

Post by rlorenz2 »

Thats what I would be looking for an increase in sharpness because I have a machine vision CCD camera I would like to get the best image out of it. I am just wondering if anyone is using this filter or not. thanks
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
granfer

Post by granfer »

The increase in sharpness is likely to be only marginal if the built-in filter is doing its job. If the camera is of machine vision quality, the existing filter is likely to be of the highest quality. Adding an extra filter will not increase the RESOLUTION, of course.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

I did a little reading on the topic and it seems LED sources do not emit infra red. I don't think they emit UV either, so......

Generally, more filters = less resolution.

Not.

Mitch
christoph

Post by christoph »

hiya,
we've done some tests about this...
generally speaking it helps a little to have an extra IR filter if you use a halogen source, but it doesnt make a difference with LEDs since they dont emmit IR wavelengths.

++ christoph