Organic Film Effect

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

SuperOcho

Organic Film Effect

Post by SuperOcho »

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the Super 8mm format. I've only shot color neg and b&w reversal, telecined on a Rank at Spectra.

I've noticed that in many Super 8mm films, there is an effect where the film briefly turns reddish, yet not at full opacity. You can still see the footage as the reddish look passes over the screen and then vanishes just as quickly as it appeared. Almost like it was overexposed.

An example of what I'm talking about appears at the start of the movie "The Game" which has about 2 minutes of Super 8 footage, seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGPix7kX ... re=related

I find this effect desirable as it lends to the imperfection look of the format. What causes this to occur? Also in the footage above there is some flicker, so I'm wondering if this was telecined using the film-chain technique?
BK

Re: Organic Film Effect

Post by BK »

I am pretty sure everything was created digitally in post. It was filmed with 35mm and "bastardized" to create that bad home movie look. You can tell when you see the perfs in a few frames of this opening sequence.

Organic 8mm doesn't look like this at all.

The film flashes you refer to is edge or frame fogging that you get when using 8mm or 16mm roll film.

Bill
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

You can get that reddish - yellow fogging on the frame by shining a flashlight
down the viewfinder while filming the scene. To get the scratches once the film is processed, drag it across a concrete floor. You can do that with the original (if you don't care) or make a copy of the neg/print ( there are a few places that can still do that) . The randomness generated by After Effects film scratch plug-ins does not do it for me. If you want to see the film perforatons on the transfered footage, ask the telecine operator to do that or transfer it on a WORKPRINTER XP and do the same.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

If you are able to open the door to the film compartment during filming you will also get this effect.

This has nothing to do with the imperfection of the format, but enterily controlled by the shooter. In this example, however, created in post production.

For more creativity like this a good example is to find the making of Garbage's 'Stupid Girl' video, which although being 16mm, took this to the extreme.
supa8

Post by supa8 »

yeah. definitely too sharp and clean for super8
SuperOcho

Post by SuperOcho »

supa8 wrote:yeah. definitely too sharp and clean for super8
supa8,

Are you being sarcastic? Cuz the clip is anything but sharp and clean, right? I mean it's not out of focus, but to my eye it certainly looks like small format film.

After reading everyone's theories and researching this a little more myself I now think it was shot on regular 8mm or 16mm roll film which tends to have this fog effect that I'm referring too.

I've never shot either format so I wouldn't know. But I've seen this in other old movie footage like 16mm, and I'm pretty sure they weren't adding it in post. And besides, the purpose of adding this "look'" in post is to imitate the genuine look that naturally characterizes certain aspects of home movie films, like the fogging of certain frames..

Can anyone attest to this reddish-brown fogging being true of roll film?
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

How many similar answers will it take to convince you. :roll:

This effect can be done on any format just open the camera door and let light hit the film. With super 8 just take the cartridge out of the camera and you'll get something like this effect.

This is a very common post effect, art beats (and probably other companies too) sell "head burn" footage to create this look.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

You may want to give 8mm a try.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
etimh

Post by etimh »

In regards to the effect in the opening sequence of The Game, I believe it was shot on 16mm using a Bolex.

So, while it MAY be effects generated in post, it could also be some in-camera manipulation and/or effects inherent in the film.

Maybe a little of both as some of those "film" effects look a little digital cheezy.

Tim