Cheap E64T in Europe

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MIKI-814

Cheap E64T in Europe

Post by MIKI-814 »

This online shop offers good prices in Europe for film stocks, specially E64T and Vision2, also with postal costs.

http://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/
greg_8mm

Re: Cheap E64T in Europe

Post by greg_8mm »

Wow, how can they sell Vision2 at just €13 compared to €17 to Tri-X?? I thought neg stocks were more expensive than BW reversal...
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

For some reason in the UK black and white reversal stocks seem to be more expensive, which makes no sense. They were way cheaper when I bought Super 8 from Kodak in Manhattan on 31st street, and should be cheaper since black and white film is cheaper to make than colour film.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

You can be sure that the price difference between the colour and black and white stocks isn't a deliberate ploy of BLUE, but rather a direct expression of the difference in price from their supplier - most probably Kodak in the U.K.. It is certainly true that BW stock in the USA is considerably cheaper than colour neg or reversal stocks, and is cheaper to manufacture ... But it is also true that Kodak Australia don't reflect that price difference at all. Here 16mm bw reversal is more expensive than colour neg. Its a real shame, but it has to do with volumes and inventory etc..
but well done Blue for making all that available through their site!
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Prices at Wittner (Germany) for a single cart incl. 19% VAT, but without processing (Prices are lower when you buy 10 or 20 carts at once):
E64T: 15.99 EUR
PlusX: 16.50 EUR
TriX: 16.50 EUR
200T: 21.96 EUR
500T: 21.96 EUR
So the prices for the reversal films are pretty much the same as in the UK at Blue.
Nevertheless Blue's prices for the Vision2 are much cheaper. Possible reasons:
a) Blue bought a huge amount of Vision2 and hence got a nice price reduction.
b) The Vision2 didn't sold as well as Blue expected. Hence they'll now have to sell it "at any price" before the film's "process before"-date expires.
c) The Vision2 didn't sold as well as Kodak (UK) expected. Hence Kodak (UK) had to sell it "at any price" to Blue before the film's "process before"-date expired.
d) Kodak drastically lowered the prices for the Vision2 as the new Vision3 stocks will be available for Super8 soon.
e) The Vision2 sells better than the reversal stock. Hence Blue can order larger quantities... -> s. a)
f) ...
This space was left intenionally blank.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Well I guess I'd better chime in here as it is me who sets the prices on http://www.bluecinetech.co.uk.

Richard has hit the nail on the head - the prices are simply a direct reflection of what we are charged by Kodak UK.
jpolzfuss wrote:So the prices for the reversal films are pretty much the same as in the UK at Blue.
The price for 64T is about 10% cheaper, for TRI-X & PLUS-X it is more expensive. In any case you would need to take shipping into account to make a really meaningful comparison. The Euro prices will fluctuate anyway depending on exchange rates, and are in any case only estimates that are updated every couple of days.
a) Blue bought a huge amount of Vision2 and hence got a nice price reduction.
No - The price is the same if we buy one roll or if we buy 1000.
b) The Vision2 didn't sold as well as Blue expected. Hence they'll now have to sell it "at any price" before the film's "process before"-date expires.
No - The films are ordered in small batches several times a week. We're not trying to dump old stock. None of it has been in our fridge for more than 2 weeks.
c) The Vision2 didn't sold as well as Kodak (UK) expected. Hence Kodak (UK) had to sell it "at any price" to Blue before the film's "process before"-date expired.
No - The price for Vision2 from Kodak UK has been the same for at least 2 years. I'm sure they have sold plenty, presumably the UK and Germany are the 2 biggest European markets. There isn't a "process before" date anyway.
d) Kodak drastically lowered the prices for the Vision2 as the new Vision3 stocks will be available for Super8 soon.
No - Same answer as above really.
e) The Vision2 sells better than the reversal stock. Hence Blue can order larger quantities...
No - Without checking exact figure the order of popularity is something like 64T, Tri-X, 200T, 500T, Plus-X.

There is a much simpler answer to all this-

KODAK GERMANY CHARGE MORE FOR VISION2 THAN KODAK UK.

It really is that simple!!!
Freya

Post by Freya »

It's true Kodaks prices have always been a bit all over the place but colour neg has always been cheap here (the u.k.) in S8. In fact it used to be much cheaper! About £6 a cart a few years back but the price has gone up a bit.

love

Freya
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:Without checking exact figure the order of popularity is something like 64T, Tri-X, 200T, 500T, Plus-X.
Interesting to know this... Plus-X is a great stock BUT it needs a lot of light to get contrast.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Plus-X has never been that popular in terms of sales for some reason. I was talking to another forum member on the phone earlier today and part of our conversation was pretty much about exactly that - how good we both thought Plus-X looks and how strange it is that it is overlooked by many.

People tend to choose Tri-X because it is fast I guess.