Good News. Kodak killing Vision2 5218/7218

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

Good News. Kodak killing Vision2 5218/7218

Post by Nigel »

It's all going away by the end of the year.

Everything from 65mm down to Super8.

Hopefully it will be to make way for the expansion of V3.

Good Luck
reflex

Re: Good News. Kodak killing Vision2 5218/7218

Post by reflex »

A sound business decision. It doesn't make sense for Kodak to split sales between two stocks - it increases inventory and confuses customers.

My only concern is that Vision3 has yet to hit Super 8 cartridges [probably because they have lots of Vision2 500T in Super 8]. The danger, of course, is that every time the company shifts to a new emulsion they review sales and there is the risk that they may choose to abandon or delay certain formats.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

True.

I think(hope) they will move the same products over from V2 into V3.

Good Luck
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

I'm sure they'll keep it because they now view super 8 as a loss leader for them, a way of getting people into the bigger commercial gauges, schools, whatever. That's how they've sold it to the bean counters and negative film is their raison d'etre these days.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Every Kodak rep I've spoken with has assured me that V3 500T will be out in Super 8 as soon as the existing stocks of V2 500T are gone or nearly gone. That's from the 800-order line ladies and my regional rep as well. Of course they could have just gotten a memo to say that when asked, but I tend to believe them.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Whilst I hope that V3 will be out in S8 I can't help but think that they will kill it. Kodak has a 100% rate of contradiction with me. They tell me one thing one day and the next they tell me another.

At the end of the day it is kinda funny.

10 years ago I could never get Fuji to give me a straight answer and would use Kodak against them. Now I can't get the skinny from Kodak and they claim Fuji isn't a threat this allows me to get a lot of free film from Fuji. Which in my eyes looks better anyway. It is a win win for me as the Big K rides their sinking ship.

Sink Kodak Sink!!! Die Kodak Die!!!

Good Luck
fritzcarraldo

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Nigel wrote:Whilst I hope that V3 will be out in S8 I can't help but think that they will kill it. Kodak has a 100% rate of contradiction with me. They tell me one thing one day and the next they tell me another.

At the end of the day it is kinda funny.

10 years ago I could never get Fuji to give me a straight answer and would use Kodak against them. Now I can't get the skinny from Kodak and they claim Fuji isn't a threat this allows me to get a lot of free film from Fuji. Which in my eyes looks better anyway. It is a win win for me as the Big K rides their sinking ship.

Good Luck
Well, and if you like Black & white film as i do, you can shoot on ORWO and FOMA they offered me some film too more than once :)
Freya

Post by Freya »

Kodak announced that 5219 would be available in S8 way back at the launch, so I'm sure it will arrive as they have already announced it.

It should be intresting, when it finally does arrive. :)

love

Freya
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Its also in all the official Vision 3 brochures, with Super 8 listed as one of the forms of the stock available.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Nigel wrote: Kodak has a 100% rate of contradiction with me. They tell me one thing one day and the next they tell me another.
Maybe they know you from here.
Nigel wrote:

Good Luck
Yeah, maybe they know you from here.