looking for a regular8 projector...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tr0x

looking for a regular8 projector...

Post by tr0x »

Hi, i'm looking for a regular8 projector that can handle 24fps...
Some other useful features:
-manual film loading (like the bolex 18-5)
-powerful lamp (i mean: no spaceman bulbs!)
-easy to clean film path
-cheap :D
Shanec8mm

Re: looking for a regular8 projector...

Post by Shanec8mm »

I would recommend a Bell & Howell from the 60's or 70's. There were a few models that B&H made that featured sprocketless drives, (known to be gentle on film) 150 watt lamps, auto load, and a speed adjustment knob.
I own a Sears model made by B&H that plays both Reg and Super 8. My projector uses a sprocketless drive as I mentioned above, and has never eaten film.
My projector also uses a 150 watt lamp, very bright, a 1.2 zoom lens that is crisp and clean.
Some here will suggest other models that are good. My luck as always been with B&H.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

I love B&H projectors, we've got 2 150w DCT's and a 100w DCM in our house - they're easy to use, rugged and reliable but with all the features we'd need. Very nice projectors, so I'd second the above recommendation.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I would also like to add that one of the worst experiences I ever had with a projector recently was a Gaf model. I bought one on Ebay and it seemed to be built very well with sprocketles drive, etc. It ate half of a family film I shot last year. I discovered the problem with these Gafs is the teeth at the gate are very rough as the film passes over them. It almost acts like a shredder. I compared both the B&H I have and the Gaf and the claw teeth are much more gentle on the B&H and are pulling so roughly on the film as the Gaf was. So buyer beware on these Gaf models.
downix

Post by downix »

The Italian made Cine' Voice has 24fps modes. Very well built projector too, I own one.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Shanec8mm wrote:I would also like to add that one of the worst experiences I ever had with a projector recently was a Gaf model. I bought one on Ebay and it seemed to be built very well with sprocketles drive, etc. It ate half of a family film I shot last year.........So buyer beware on these Gaf models.
We use the GAF chassis as the basis for our telecine units but we strip them down and rebuild them. There are inner side springs on the GAFs that get stiff over time and the lack of flexibility doesn't allow the film to seat properly. Also, the claw will not retract properly if the lubrication from 35 years ago isn't stripped off and replaced or it acts like glue. And the take up mechanism has to be rebuilt it or will pull on the film too hard and that will cause registration issues. These are just a few of the things that have to be done to get them back to "like new" but once we service them they work fine and are very gentle on film, as are most sprocketless projectors (that work properly!). But there are really very few used projectors you can buy from ebay that are guaranteed to still work properly and all should be rebuilt before attempting to run any kind of important film through them or you risk having the kind of experience you just described. So, really, it isn't a matter of buyer beware of any particular brand but, instead, realizing that a new projector hasn't been made in over a quarter century (not since last century, in fact!). Elmo made one of the best projectors in the world but my fiend in Houston had his trusty ST1200HD eat a precious film due to lack of maintenance, etc. Just the way things are.....

Roger

Roger
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

Shanec8mm wrote:I would recommend a Bell & Howell from the 60's or 70's. There were a few models that B&H made that featured sprocketless drives,
Can you name some models or post some pics of them?

Ah, i also forgot to say that it must work with 220v mains as i live in europe :wink:
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

downix wrote:The Italian made Cine' Voice has 24fps modes. Very well built projector too, I own one.
Can you post some pics?
downix

Post by downix »

I'll take some when I get home tonight for you.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I found this B&H model on Ebay. It's a great example of a model that has it all.
Variable speed control, 150 watt bulb, sprocketless design, F 1.2 zoom lens, and built like a tank. This is a 466 model. The 456A is comparible but doesn't offer variable speed control as far as I know. My sears B&H doesn't offer speed control but I shoot all my Super 8 movies at 18 fps. What's really important is to find a model that uses at least a 150 watt bulb, this will give you the possiblity of big, bright room projection. Add to that a good F 1.2 zoom lens and your all set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-8mm-Super-8-mm ... dZViewItem
Cfry

Post by Cfry »

My first post after years of lurking. Hi everyone!

IF these are available in 220v form (mine is 120v).......
I would suggest the Kodak Kodascope "eight - 33". This was made probably in the late 40's to the early 50's. Sprocket type, very gentle on film.

It has everything you asked for - only problem is that while I'm sure it can do 24fps, you're never quite sure what speed it is at as it has a continuously variable speed knob and no indicator of fps. It is limited to 200ft reels. Maybe there is a similar vintage Kodascope with greater capacity?

It is very easy to lube (easy access) and is well built with the choice of 200W(?), 300W and 500W bulb, type "CXY".

I got my projector off the 'bay for $32.00, and thats including shipping!