Super 8mm B&W Tri-x short online

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ashesoftime

Super 8mm B&W Tri-x short online

Post by Ashesoftime »

Hi,

Just wanna share a short film I made in super 8mm. Here's the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/1197408

Thanks
downix

Re: Super 8mm B&W Tri-x short online

Post by downix »

Man I love the lok of Tri-X. You told a wonderful tale without saying a work, bravo.
paul

Post by paul »

Hi,

Wonderfull work. Normally I only watch the first minute of posted films, but this one I watched to the end. The composing was great, you are a very good cameraman. So was the light. The story and the soundtrack were very good as well. I really enjoyed it. Can I order a copy?

A few things:
In the beginning when the guy was leaving the bedroom, you underexposed the shot. It looked very good.How many stops did you do underexpose?

I really enjoyed the film but I at moments I found the editing a bit too fast and superfluous. You could have done with less I think. The long, beautiful composed shots frequently deserved longer viewing, and would have fit better to the melancholic mood. The short cuts made it a bit restless at moments, witch didn't fit in to the mood well enough, I think.

But all together, congratulations, I hope to see more some time!

Thanks for sharing!

Paul

P.S.

And what a pretty girl!
Last edited by paul on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul

Post by paul »

double post..sorry!
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Very nice short and photography. It looks not so grainy as I could expect from Tri-X. Also the soundtrack is very strong and seems to fit perfectly with each shot. Isn't the first music from "Secret Garden"?
Ashesoftime

Post by Ashesoftime »

Thanks for the kind words guys,

to Paul, I underexposed that shot one and a half stop. You are right about the cuts that are too fast, some of them were actually in camera cuts because I was afraid of shooting too much film, like the part where she was waiting for the subway underground, and the magic hour shots on the beach. I had to resort to jump cuts because I didn't shoot long enough takes.

I shot too many long takes early on and since I only budgeted 10 rolls of Tri-X, the shots near the end of filming were much shorter because I was too afraid I won't have enough film, lesson learned. In the end I was able to use almost 10 minutes of film out of the 10 rolls so I'm pretty happy about that, but I still wish I had shot more film..

For the flashbacks I thought it was OK to have shorter takes, so those were intentionally shorter, plus since these are non actors, I stopped the camera right away when the acting looks too funny.

to MIKI-814, yes the first song is from Secret Garden.

Thanks
Ashesoftime

Post by Ashesoftime »

paul wrote:
Can I order a copy?
Yes, if you pay for the shipping, I can send you a copy.

Thanks
Hong
filmjockey

Post by filmjockey »

Hong,

Nice work. It held my attention throughout as a completely silent film -- I don't have audio on this computer. You have a great sense of composition and lighting, not to mention the directorial ability to convey hope and disappointment. Great use of the language of cinema.

Michael
Michael S. Moore
Ashesoftime

Post by Ashesoftime »

Thank you Michael, this film was made for the purpose of applying to AFI's cinematography program which emphasizes on narrative storytelling , therefore I made an effort to tell the story with only images.
filmjockey

Post by filmjockey »

I forgot to mention your editorial style which is very confident, how you often construct scenes entirely from jump cuts for example after she's read the letter, very effective and confident film making. Also the cuts when you overlap action like when they embrace on the bed -- very effective. Subtle stuff too, like rotating the camera in that one closeup. How did you slow down the action the 2nd time we see him exiting at the bottom of the staircase? The exposure didn't bump at all through the jump in frame rate -- how did you do that? Or is that only in post and not on film?

Michael
Michael S. Moore
Ashesoftime

Post by Ashesoftime »

Michael,

Yes, the second time we see him exiting at the bottom of the staircase was slowed down in post 50% (I use Final Cut Pro), the Canon 1014XL-S is capable of ramping from 24 fps to 36fps without a bump in exposure, but I figured it wouldn't be slow enough. And on that 2nd exit I overexposed a stop and a half in camera to make the ground go all white.

Hong