BOLEX 155 (dead?)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

zantizoom8

BOLEX 155 (dead?)

Post by zantizoom8 »

:roll: I have a bolex 155 in excellent condition, but cannot get it to power up.
the battery holders are clean without corrosion or rust. inserted fresh Duracell AA cells (correct polarity) but nothing shows with battery check and nothing from motor when triggered. Am i missing something? or is there something i can try to make it alive? i think there are some knowledgable users of this camera here and any helpful feedback is certainly appreciated.
Forward, into the past.
downix

Re: BOLEX 155 (dead?)

Post by downix »

could be a dozen things. Bit of moisture, corrosion, can't tell from here.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

There's a Bolex 155 service manual available online, that may be of some use to you...
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Try This:

Inside the handgrip there is a centrifugal speed governor. It is a switch that spins around until the camera speed is right to make it open, and therefore regulate the shaft speed at that level. In order to have an electrical connection there are two brushes riding on copper commutators. If the camera has been sitting a while oxides can build up and there is no voltage for the motor.

You can open the grip by removing two screws, you can polish the commutators with a pencil eraser. Careful: the brushes are delicate.

If it's something else this won't help, but it costs nothing to try, so why not.

-besides, it worked on my camera.
zantizoom8

Post by zantizoom8 »

BolexPlusX wrote:Try This: ....

.... it worked on my camera.
8O wow! thanks, i would never have known to look for that. it lends some hope. and thank you Bart for the service docs, i can see what that involves now.
Forward, into the past.