O.T.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

paul

O.T.

Post by paul »

Hi,

I am looking for a used analogue photo camera.

What cam would you suggest?

Best regards,

Paul
downix

Post by downix »

What format? 35mm? Medium? Large?
aj

Post by aj »

Depends on wishes for application...

But nowadays you can find Nikon F90x at Euro 150-200. F801s in a set with original lenses at Euro 150. Or even a comfort F100 at Euro 400 and possibly less. All top cameras. Also F4 or F5 are not expensive.

With interchangeable lenses which can also fit your Beaulieuxes. You would need Nikon FC adapter which should not be too expensive either. For that you would need lenses with an aperture ring. A AI AF AF-D not AF-G or moderner like AF-S. Nice on the F100 but not on the FC adapter.
Kind regards,

André
paul

Post by paul »

Thanks!

35 mm will do. But I was also thinking of larger fomats downmix..what would you suggest on that territory
Paul
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

paul wrote:Thanks!

35 mm will do. But I was also thinking of larger fomats downmix..what would you suggest on that territory
Paul
Pentax 6x7.

Shoots just like a large 35mm and the negative is insanely sharp. You'll never need any other roll film camera for the rest of your life if you get the Pentax 6x7 and they're going really cheap, now.

Roger
downix

Post by downix »

paul wrote:Thanks!

Paul
I'll second the Pentax 6x7, but add the Super Graflex if you'd like a large format with similar slr-like handling.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ahhhh Roger peddling the Pentax 6x7.

It is a beast of a camera.

For 35mm look at the Nikon FM2 for manual focus and the F100 for autofocus.

If you want a medium format camera get something with backs. I bought a Mamiya C330 and I like it but only for casual shooting. I shot a couple gigs with it and while the images turned out great there was no way of proofing to be sure.

Now, I'm looking at the Hassy's and Mamiya's with the modularity/flexibility the Pentax 6x7 just doesn't offer.

Not only for the film but for the digital backs. With a Hassy 500CM that you bought for 700US you can rent whatever the flavor of the week digiback is if you need to.

Good Luck
PS--The Pentax 35mm cameras are great!! MEsuper all the way.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

one 35mm camera which is rock solid and reliable is the Ricoh XR2s of the late 70s. it was tested in Photography and shot the shit of them all amongst others the Canons n Nikons - The R had adopted the Copal focal plane shutter (faster shutter speeds - better precision & constancy) while the C & N drew their curtains still ;) and the R was well on par with them on exposure control.

the XR2s also has a pre shoot DOF control and use the reliable Pentax K bayonet (used by many other camera makers) lenses offering a wide array of lens options.

iris alt time priority & full manual exposure.

and, it got a fixed fully manual 1/90th second if-everything-else-fails shutter speed if the batteries are flat etc - which will save your butt.

it is hard to beat the lens quality of t he Cs and the Ns but at least there are a lot of options.

should be able to get them next to free these days....

shoot.......
Last edited by S8 Booster on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Olympus XA, Leica M2, Plaubel Makina 67...
what what
mattias

Post by mattias »

i used to have a nikon fe, loved it, and an f90x, loved it too. i'm thinking of getting a new one since i still have a bunch of nikon lenses, and if i do it will most likely be an fe2. it's nice to have an automatic shutter once in a while but i like everything else to be manual. the cheapest in that category is otherwise the olympus om2, also a great camera.

/matt
reflex

Re: O.T.

Post by reflex »

paul wrote:I am looking for a used analogue photo camera.
This isn't off topic at all. The name of the board is "Filmshooting.com" not "Movieshooting.com," after all.

As far as 35mm SLRs go, check local online buy-sell boards. You can often pick up a nice Canon, Pentax or Nikon for hardly anything and you won't have to pay shipping costs.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
BK

Post by BK »

My vote goes to the classic workhorse Nikon FM2 for a solid all manual camera, and the FE2 for the extra semi automation. I don't like the disposable electronic ones Nikon made though.

The Pentax 6X7 is like a 35mm SLR on steriods! I wouldn't like to carry that round with me all day but it takes stunning images. If you want a 6X7 look at the Fujica range too.

I had a nice experience with a Russian Lubitel 120 twin lens reflex roll film camera once...cheap but takes great images. So is the Chinese made Seagull TLR.

Bill
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Pentax ME Supers rock. Had one until it was stolen... How about really olde skool hard kore fully manual K-1000? There are also some brand new 35mm cams out there that can be had dirt cheap. My Father in law just gave me his Mamiya Nc-1000s w/ a 50mm and 135mm tele lense... Got some film in it now.....
Cheers,
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
downix

Post by downix »

Don't forget the Yashica Electro 35 either. I have one and the thing is sweet!
Roster

Another P.O.V.

Post by Roster »

If you desire a wide range of prime lenses for your camera, may I suggest any 35mm camera that uses the old Pentax/Practica screw mount.

There are lots of screw mount lenses to be found at very reasonable prices from SMC Takumars, to Soligors to Vivitars to Mamiya / Sekor lenses. I have found the Takumars and the Mamiyas to be extremely sharp lenses.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"