that "film look"

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Angus

that "film look"

Post by Angus »

As I mentioned here last week, for our 10th anniversary the wife and I threw the party we didn't have 10 years ago (we more or less eloped!).

As a fun idea I created a 21 minute montage of clips from our time together and this was digitally projected looping throughout the evening. Roughly 85% of the footage origninated on super 8, the rest being hi8 or digital video.

While the video looked smoother, it was instantly noticable that the film images had greater contrast and looked more interesting. And several guests, most of whom have no experience making video or film, commented on this.

I doubt I converted anyone, nor do I expect the wife's boss will get out his old super 8 camera (laying in dust since 1980) but its gratifying to note that people do notice the difference...even when the film isn't the main attraction of an evening...

Also worth noting for anyone out threre with analogue video tapes....the TDK hi8 tapes I used back in the 90's are riddled with dropouts...whereas Fuji and Sony from the same years are fine...
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)