Surf film i'm working on..

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
greg_8mm

Surf film i'm working on..

Post by greg_8mm »

Well, it's not gonna be just a surf film, more an art meets music meets surfing and traveling film..

I'm still working on it, don't want to rush it, but I've made a small trailer. The film will be sort of the same style..

Let me know what you think.

http://www.g-trash.com/sb/trailer_sb_v2.mov

you'll need quicktime 7....
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Looks interesting. These types of projects seem well suited to S8. How long do think your film will be?
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Well, I only shot 4 carts at 18fps in central america..

Additionally, I shot 15hrs of video. So I'll mix it with video somehow (still trying to figure out how. And I want to make it around 20 minutes long. I don't want to make it too long..

I might also make a S8 only version, with additional S8 footage that I'm gonna shoot in portugal next month..

I've also been doing some stop motion animations that suit the style of the project very well (at least I think so)..
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...super 8 surf films are a great tradition. I think Super 8 is perfect for the life style photography stuff. For the surfing photography you should see if you can get a 16mm camera with a bright long lens...Maybe you can find an Arri S for about 1000.USD.....

Looking forward to seeing this.

Steve
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Yeah, well, most of the surf action was shot in video..

I can get this kit tho for 450 euro's:

The footage was shot with a 518 sv autozoom, with a 1,5 tele adapter. I'm looking for an upgrade to a Beaulieu 4008 or a 814/1014xls anyways, so this kit might be a good choice since it also comes with a 400mm lens (1:6.3 Rikenon with sun hood, bootom of the picture)

A 16mm cam is just too expensive for me. Also 16mm film would be waay to expensive..

thnx for the response
Last edited by greg_8mm on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

if you get the beaulieu you can then get a nikon to c-mount adapter and use the gorgeous nikkor 85/2 to get really close to the action, or maybe the almost as great 105/2.5 to get even closer. both are inexpensive and very sharp.

/matt
mattias

Post by mattias »

a 400mm on super 8 will frame a surfer head to toe at 400 meters, definitely good for some shots but it's really a little too long.

/matt
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Looks pretty kewel. I look forward to seeing it.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Hmm, 400mm sounds like a little too long indeed..

I've spent the past week with some friends in Portugal. Nice waves during the day, and editing on the laptop in the evenings. We finished a great part of the movie. It's starting to come together...

I also shot 2 rolls of tri-x over there with my 814electronic, I'm pretty curious on how they'll turn out..

I'm really waiting for a good Beaulieu to pop up on the internet, so I can buy it. I'll definitely look into some of those "longer" lenses.

If the tri-x rolls turn out ok (first time test of the 814e) I'll keep the 814e as my run-and-shoot camera, and then I'll try to get a Beaulieu with some extra lenses with the surfing shots..

How come those nikkor lenses don't look so long? I mean in shape, they seem smaller than for example the 6-66 Schneider on the Beaulieu. Is that because the Schneider is a zoom lens and the Nikkor lenses you recommended are just fixed focal length lenses?

This film is not gonna be entirely on super8, since It was the first time for me that I shot super8. It's also gonna be SD video for a part of it..

I've really fallen in love with film tho, and I'm looking forward to only shoot super8 in the future for surfing.

Thanks for the comments!