Open timelapse: Editing

Collaborative film projects

What do you want?

One film (original idea)! All participants are credited and allowed to submit the film to local festivals Etc.
20%
One official film and sharing of all the raw material amongs the participants. Everyone can make their own films in addition to the orignal one. All participants must be credited.
80%

Total votes: 25

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Open timelapse: Editing

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

What is the goal of this project, one film we all can brag about working on, or do we simply want to share the raw footage so everyone can do what they like?

I'm in for one film (which ofcourse will mean some footage will not be included) and a copy of all the raw material to all particpants. (1 extra DV tape is required then!)

Talk about editing under this thread.

Andreas
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I vote for one 'official' edited film in addition to raw material being available to everybody as well.
Petteri

One "official" version pls

Post by Petteri »

One official version from the film, would be my opinion. Ofcource sending all raw material to everybody, would not be harmfull either... So i have left my vote.....

Petteri
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I am for one original film, even if some or most of my own footage is not included. I also agree that some people should be able to freely edit with all the raw footage if they choose. We need to select or vote for a candidate for the editors position.
Cheers, Simon. :idea:
Daniel

Vote for "One Film" option

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

I vote for the original idea : One Film.

Regards,

Daniel
drsanchez

Post by drsanchez »

I vote for one official film plus sharing of all the raw material (that's the second option). I'd like to hone my editing skills using all your footage as the collective guinea pig so I need your source material.

Also, what criteria will our editor have? Are we just looking for good-looking shots? Or something more coherent? If I try to tell a small story with my 2.5 minutes, how can I make sure the right footage gets in there? Though I like the free nature of this film, my vision of the final product might not match with the editor's if we don't define a theme. Is our theme essentially 'Around the world in 24 hours?' Or 'Slice of Life: May 17, 2003?'
dr.sanchez, son of a midwestern bureaucrat

Post by Guest »

i voted for the original idea however im not opposed to sharing all the material with whoever wants it but id like to see one official version. thanks.
attenka

Post by attenka »

drsanchez wrote:I vote for one official film plus sharing of all the raw material (that's the second option).
It would be nice to see different versions, different ways of seeing and editing, and what kind of impression perhaps different usings of sound worlds and music give to the final results.
drsanchez wrote: Is our theme essentially 'Around the world in 24 hours?' Or 'Slice of Life: May 17, 2003?'
Both of these are possible, first perhaps harder to shoot and edit (and we don't have participants from all over the world, unfortenately). Perhaps editor can choose to direct his steps towards one or the other. And they don't rule each other out.
ericMartinJarvies

Post by ericMartinJarvies »

hello everyone,

i would like to suggest some ideas that may add some production value to a project like this, and perhaps increase it's ability to gain maximum exposure in the various film festivals. so here it goes:

ok, what is unique about the film? as it stands, andreas(the director), has commissioned 30-40 DPs(director of photography) to film in their respective parts of the world. if each of us films what we so desire, then the film will be a reflection of our own idea as it relates to our contribution to the film.

however, if we were given 'direction' of a specific nature, then each of us would then contribute our abilities in terms of our capability as DPs.

therefore, if the film had structure, wherein each of us was required to film specific points/aspects/perspectives of specific people places and things, the director, andreas, could assemble an organized film in linear order.

lets take the unique portion of the equasion: differnat parts of the world. what s common to each part? the sun rising and passing overhead and eventually setting. what takes place during this daytime period that is not constant, but similar? work. transportation. culture. events. etc. what is constant, but not the same is the sun rising, and passing overhead, and setting.

so, perhaps each of us should film our own sunrise. and because the sun rises in the same direction for all of us, that is the starting directional point for the film. so if we use the sun as our refernece point, or break away shot through the film, we could then fill the content/body of the film with what happens in our local area during this time.

so after photographing the sunrise, i would be required to shot its position throughout the day at every hour. this would require each of us use a wide shot always pointing in the same general direction, using a compass if possible. this would not only provide the landscape from where each of us are shooting(the city, country, waterway/beach, whatever), it would also provde the relationship of distance between the horizan and the sun's position to it. and naturally, it would capture the actual weather condition in each our repsective places in the world for that day.

now moving to the content of the film, why not show how we go fro mthe silence of the night touching the morning sun, perhaps the birds taking their morning songs, or the milk truck making its early morning delivery, or whatever each of us is able to film that shows how peceful, and quite, and undisturbed the early morning hours are. then, we start introducing the NOISE. people waking up. getting their newspaper. walking down the streets. getting on buses. going to work. everything startng to get noisy and active. then, we shoot things that are taking place in our parts of the world for that day. perhaps one of us lives next to a port, wherein 2 or 3 large cruisliners come in and out of port(i capture them coming into port in the early part of the day. i return and film them leaving port later in the day). perhaps i capture all the tourists waling down the streets and shopping, being helped by the same people i filmed waking up going to work. then later in the day things start winding down. people leave the streets and go back to their cruise ships. the shop employees are staring into the distance, tired and showing the effects of the day. the shps leave. my area of the world starts closing up for the day and making the transition from day to night. i then take the timelapse of the sunset. now i move into the transformation into nighttime. waiters and hosts preparing their tables for guests. the boardwalk being lite up for people soon to be passng by. then the restaurants are filled with people. the nite clubs are filled with people dancing. the lights and enegry of the night in my part of the world is captured. and as i reach the midnight hour, the close of my day, here in my part of the world, i show the couple that met in the disco and are hoping into a cab to go to their motel. i capture the married couple havng a fight in the alley. i capture the drunk throwing up on the sidewalk. i capture people fighting. and on and on.

in other words, lets film our part of the world so others can see what happens in the day of the life of one of andreas' DPs. and if our director gives us a timed/period of the day to shoot, shooting schedule, then he can have his editor ut in each of our spots for that specifc time slot. perhaps at the end of the movie, after the screen goes black, you can then light up frame with a stll of each of our cities, that list the name of the city, and the name of the DP. this way, after one has watch the film, they can go ... OH! that is cabo san lucas. or they can say ...wow, thats what batswana looks like. because as they are watching the film/day progress, it ll have over 30 differant locations ut n, so it wll take the audence a few minutes to figure out that it s a rotating location schedule of basically a day in the life of. and at that point, and at each lick tick tock of the clock, they will see how each progrsses throughout the day. and so what is acomplished here? if submitted in a film festival, andreas can get 'real' director credits for managing all of his DPS, like me. and i can can get 'real' film credit for actually doing my job. if my film is exposed correctly. if my shots are framed correctly. if my story s told correctly. then i have suceeded. and the same applies with al lthe other DPs that contributed on the film. and if it is beign viewed at film festivals, this will be our chance to get 'noticed' and perhaps someone might say, hey ... i like that one guy's filming techniques from batswana ... whats his name? lets give him a call and have him work on our next film project.

the point i am trying to make is, lets really do it so we can each show off our talens. and the film should be reward us with its credits and contact info, so that anyone that views the film, can have the option to contact any one of us. after all, would you not rather be shooting a film for someone then going to a blah blah job to just barely pay the bills.

i think its time for all of us to start becoming filmmakers in the non traditional sense of the word ...we will be one of the first virtual groups of filmmakers that were entirely organized through an overly stimulating, and sometimes agressive, but mostly informative website forum known as 8mm.filmshooting.com!
eric martin jarvies
#7 avenido jarvies
pueblo viejo
cabo san lucas, baja california sur. mexico
cp 23410
044 624 141 9661
Paul Costello

not quite the 17th

Post by Paul Costello »

Andreas,

Wow crazy responce to the time lapse project, fantastic. I think one final edit should be done by you for submission to festivals (as this is your project) with everyone who donates footage getting a credit. Then if others want a go at edditing up the rushes sure send out copies.
I have a confession to make the footage I took wasnt quite on the 17th. I was at that workshop in Amsterdam "starting from scratch".

P.
Paul Costello

Strictly montage...

Post by Paul Costello »

I like the idea of there being no structure to the submissions, it will leave more room for the creativity of the editor/compiler to work.
I think it would be interesting to see if any cultural differences emerge in the final edits if we all do our own versions and I feel that when structure is applied individuality can often get sacrificed to tell the storey.

P.
vidwerk

Footage received!

Post by vidwerk »

I received the DV footage from Andreas today along with Jukkasil's CD's(very nice music I might add). Thanks!
I will be getting my hands on a PAL DV deck by the weekend and will immediately begin to subclip and edit the piece. I wish to have it completed in time for the hotdocs(Canadian International documentary film festival) deadline in early January.
I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers, Simon.
nilse

Yesss!!!

Post by nilse »

Nice! You get those hands on that deck right away and start editing!!!

8O

nilse
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

All the footage is digitized and subcliped.
It all looks absolutely awesome. Can't wait to
share it with everyone.

Simon.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

one film is my vote!!! thanks for all your hard work. cant wait to see it online. thanks.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com