A slice of history for purchase

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

A slice of history for purchase

Post by Patrick »

On ebay, someone's selling quite an extensive collection of home movies on super 8. Of noteable interest is the filming of the moon landing off television.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8MM-HOME-MOVIE-LOT- ... dZViewItem
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Why would anybody want to buy somebody else's home movies? I mean, I've bought super-8 prints from Ebay but never personal home movies.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
reflex

Post by reflex »

Why?

1. They're a glimpse into the "real" 1960s.
2. It's a good source of material that can be cut into modern experimental films or used to create a vintage ambience (street scenes, for example).
3. There might be some great travel footage in there - lots of cars with fins and chrome, classic hamburger joints in the background, etc.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

[quote="wado1942"]Why would anybody want to buy somebody else's home movies?[quote] Why would anyone sell their home movies? :(
reflex

Post by reflex »

DriveIn wrote:Why would anyone sell their home movies? :(
They were probably picked up at an estate sale.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

1. They're a glimpse into the "real" 1960s.
Only the 1960s? I bought some earlier black and white films. Interesting stuff, but a bit brittle. The vacation films are the ones I like to see, you get glimpses of historical vistas and locations that will never look so good again. 8)
2. It's a good source of material that can be cut into modern experimental films or used to create a vintage ambience (street scenes, for example).
Copyright argument starts here. :wink:
3. There might be some great travel footage in there - lots of cars with fins and chrome, classic hamburger joints in the background, etc.
I bought an old small town parade film, the variety of old cars were amazing, including some that are million dollar sellers now. Some were hard to identify, even for a car buff like me. :P
DriveIn

Post by DriveIn »

reflex wrote:
DriveIn wrote:Why would anyone sell their home movies? :(
They were probably picked up at an estate sale.
That's why the italic text their. If you are selling an estate, wouldn't you still keep the personal items like family photos and home movies? Estates with no decendants or heirs being the exception.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

"They were probably picked up at an estate sale."

Yet surely there would be some relatives out there that are in someway 'connected' to the home movies.

Though as a guy who worked at a camera shop once said to me - when the old folks die and their stuff is up for grabs, their kids have no interest in these home movies and either give them away or sell them.

That, I cannot understand.
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

That's rather sad considering the purpose of the films are to preserve their memories for the future.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

I bought a Single8 camera a month ago from ebay with a finished film cart inside. I sent to process as well, but not sure what's in it. Probably it capture some UFO footage and I will get kidnap by MIBs few days later.

But so exciting to see what's in it.

I also want to buy some home movie clips from ebay to get the reference of the "Good Old Days"
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

I find these kind of sales sad also. Years back I bought a projector from a junk shop in london (very early Kodak 16mm from the 20's I think). As I was about to leave, they guy handed me a plastic carrier bag full of loose film, which "came with the projector". I took a look at it later and spent a fair bit of time putting it back together - it was in hundreds of bits.

I did manage then to project it, and it was the weddings of two sisters a year apart in 45-46. each sister was bridesmaid to the other, each groom was best man to the other. Quality film as well, despite the neglect and damage - must have cost them a small fortune at the time, in postwar England. I reckon I could trace the church, so someday maybe I will try to return it to the family.

It set me wondering what happened that such a piece of family history would end up in a junk shop - trauma in the family, no children... difficult to believe that there were no relatives but you never know what happened, and everyone is different.
what what
super8man

Post by super8man »

In the footage I have come across its a real crap shoot if you are going to spend $$$ on stuff sight unseen. But, there are some exquisite sights to be seen if you are lucky. Personally, I like it all - how they dress, the look of the buildings/homes, the cars, the toys at christmas, Disneyland, Hawaii, Las Vegas, The Hoover Dam, etc, etc...so much...but if you ask me "would you pay money for home movies sight unseen?" I would pay no more than $1 per 400-foot reel and even then think I got ripped.

So, my general observation is definitely "on the fence!"

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Angus

Post by Angus »

In the days of "free" Kodachrome processing I had some reels and carts that came with eBay cameras processed, and made some attempts to trace the original shooters via the eBay seller, but have never had any luck.

They are somebody's memories, even if its kids playing in the back garden circa 1965....maybe those kids are in their 40's now and would be interested.

Sadly most people couldn't give a toss :(

Better to buy and preserve the memories than let the landfill grab them...or put them to use.

Some people buy home movie footage because it is of special interest to them, like the moon landings mentioned or perhaps a favourite sport.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Patrick wrote: when the old folks die and their stuff is up for grabs, their kids have no interest in these home movies and either give them away or sell them.

That, I cannot understand.
That's true. Some of these kids are selling the films on the flea marked.
I do not understand that either. Maybe they think the quality from these films is worse than old video, I don't know. Or maybe they are not interested in their own past. :roll:

However, I agree with everyone here: you will see lots of family parties and endless scenes of little children and pets. I forget the uncles and aunts. You will see minutes of complete useless stuff, too.

But sometimes you will find movies from people who have traveled the world around! Now, those are interesting.

I have 1950-60-70 scenes from Egypt, Spain, Italy, Black Africa (Congo!), UK, USA, Norway etc etc...

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Why do people get rid of them? Easy, its a burden and we should not hang
on to too much stuff for sentimental reasons.

One or two photos of a wedding are enough to set the scene and the rest are garbage. Old vacation photos are often terrible and boring because
they are all endless shots of sunsets, views and tourist traps. The most
interesting photos are the ones with family in them. Pictures of things and places are not really important.