super 8 projector with video out

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gilmata

super 8 projector with video out

Post by gilmata »

hi all
i'm looking for a super 8 projector with BNC video out.
somone could help me telling me which models exists and which is the better to transfer to video?
thanks
best regards
andré
mattias

Post by mattias »

the only good one would be clive tobin's unit, it's new and all the old ones suck. if you have a video camera you're better off using a regular projector and shooting the screen. there are also other solutions that are either extremely expensive (flashscan) or require a computer and don't work in real time (workprinter), which i guess you need since you were asking for bnc out? search the archives for the buzzwords i mentioned and you'll figure it out.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

There were once old Elmo Transvideo projectors that had a video ouput but they were pretty bad. If you need that type of projector (but with a better image) I would suggest Clive Tobin's units. See:

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/

Roger
clivetobin

Post by clivetobin »

MovieStuff wrote:There were once old Elmo Transvideo projectors that had a video ouput but they were pretty bad. If you need that type of projector (but with a better image) I would suggest Clive Tobin's units. See:
http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/
Roger
Thanks! Our TVT machines have a BNC video out for normal composite video. We provide BNC to BNC as well as BNC to RCA cables. Also there is an S-video (Y/C) out, and we furnish an S-video cable. The S-video connection gives cleaner video unless you are feeding very expensive equipment with advanced color separation circuitry.

p.s.- I recommend Roger's book, it is a good read.
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

MovieStuff wrote:I would suggest Clive Tobin's units.
clivetobin wrote:p.s.- I recommend Roger's book, it is a good read.
You guys make me laugh! Nice to see some civility on the internet.

Dave
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

you might want to take a look at the Flashscan8, too:
http://www.mwa-nova.de/flashscan8.htm

BTW: Neither the Flashscan8, nor Clive Tobin's device, nor the Elmo, nor the not yet mentioned Nordmende CCS, Kodak something, ... can be used as projectors. They're all "video out"-only.

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
lord_rover

Post by lord_rover »

filmamigo wrote: You guys make me laugh! Nice to see some civility on the internet.

Dave
Ah, but that's what a small community is all about: sticking together!

BTW, does that red and white chequered beach ball in your avatar have a deeper meaning?

Regards,

Alex
Last edited by lord_rover on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
clivetobin

BNC RCA MiniDIN Connectors

Post by clivetobin »

mattias wrote:...you were asking for bnc out? search the archives for the buzzwords...
Heck, you don't need an archive if I am around with a few seconds to spare!

BNC is the standard video connector for broadcast and professional use. It is also used on commercial VHS duplicators (and on our TVT machines!) where a bad connection means lost time and money. The signal connection is silver or gold, there are multiple plated fingers for a redundant ground contact, plus the bayonet turn-to-lock plated finger thingie under high spring pressure means another ground. A video facility or TV station may have hundreds or thousands of connections, and these are all BNC for reliability. The pro video low-loss super-shielded cables such as RG-59 or 8281 are heavy stiff and thick and a non-locking plug tends to unplug by itself. Incidentally it has been claimed that BNC stands for Bayonet Naval Connector, others say it is named after the inventor's initials, still others say they are both wrong.

RCA "phono" plugs and jacks were invented by RCA for use with their old console hi-fi gear (before stereo) for connecting the phonograph module to the amplifier. They are cheap, stamped out of solder-plated brass or steel, and work fine for the original use. Instead of precious metal contacts, they use a friction fit, with the mating surfaces scraping against each other, for a good connection (at least at first.) They have become an industry standard for consumer audio connections owing to being cheap. Lately they have also been used for consumer video connections. They work fine if plugged in once and not disturbed. With repeated unplugging they become loose and the plating wears off. They are generally used with thin, poorly shielded, lossy and impedance mismatched cable and should not be used for video runs over maybe 6 feet (2 meters).

The signal is the same, whether using BNC or RCA plugs, and adapters are made to convert from one to the other.

Mini-DIN 4-pin connectors are used with Y/C S-video signals. The two signal pins allow the luminance (Y or brightness) and C (chroma or color) information to be kept separate (hence the "S") for a cleaner video picture with low cost equipment. This connector is, to me, another unfortunate choice as it is delicate and unreliable. I think a regular sized DIN, or maybe a lock-ring DIN made by Preh, or a screw-lock DIN made by Tuchel and Lumberg would have been far better. DIN by the way stands for something like Deutsche Industrie Norm which means German Industrial Standard.

End of lecture. There will be a closed-book exam tomorrow. :-)
mattias

Post by mattias »

thanks a lot for the lecture. although by buzzwords i meant "flashscan", "workprinter" and even "clive tobin". that's what you get for using your own name for your brand. ;-)

/matt
reflex

Post by reflex »

I've interviewed both Roger and Clive and would certainly purchase equipment from either. Before talking to them, I had the impression that they had deep respect for one-another. Little did I know the truth.

The two companies quietly joined forces several years ago in an attempt defeat the Axis of Digital. I was able to sneak a few shots of their new R&D department when they weren't watching.

As you might know, Roger recently moved from Houston to a more remote facility. He initially told me some ridiculous story about "leaving the city to be closer to nature," but later admitted that the company was asked to leave after running afoul of city bylaws while testing the WorkPrinter Medieval Edition.

Here's a glimpse shortly before he laid siege to one of Canon's manufacturing plants:

Clive and Roger quickly realized that defeating the Axis of Digital would require substantially more speed and agility, leading to this somewhat ungainly bolt-on motor for the TVT-8. It goes without saying that the rotor is synchronized with 0.000001% accuracy. It apparently took some coaxing by Roger before Clive was willing to abandon his traditional gray powder coat paint scheme in favor of a more militaristic shade of dark green:

They are currently in the midst of a joint project to prevent China from militarizing space and flooding the interplanetary market with cheap solid state cameraphones. This required slight modifications to the International Space Station:

www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

lord_rover wrote: BTW, does that red and white chequered beach ball in your avatar have a deeper meaning?
It's the old Amiga computer "boing-ball". I was a long-time Amiga user, and still keep an eye on the old scene. If you are curious about the slightly surreal situation of the Amiga currently, you can check out:

http://www.amigaworld.net

Anyway, the Amiga was a stalwart companion of my earliest film/video making. When I first picked a user name, combining my two interests seemed logical, but I didn't want to call myself FilmAmiga, because amiga means girl-friend. So, I masculinized it to amigo...

I think I overthought that one. Oh well, I like the checkered ball... pretty colours.... :lol:
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
MovieStuff

Re: BNC RCA MiniDIN Connectors

Post by MovieStuff »

clivetobin wrote:
mattias wrote:...you were asking for bnc out? search the archives for the buzzwords...
Heck, you don't need an archive if I am around with a few seconds to spare!
Don't be too helpful, Clive. You'll wreck your reputation as being a grouchy old man. ;)

Roger

PS: Glad you liked the book. Now if I could get others here to pick one up. They're damn near free. :roll:
mattias

Post by mattias »

does $10 include international shipping? i'm getting a copy. just let me know the total and i'll paypal it right away.

/matt
mattias

Post by mattias »

and reflex, loved those.

/matt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mattias wrote:does $10 include international shipping? i'm getting a copy. just let me know the total and i'll paypal it right away.
Yep. Just trying to get it out there; not make money. $10 gets you this book with shipping anywhere in the known universe. If you can breath air where you live, then you can be reading this book for $10 within the week.

http://www.rogerevans.tv/transit_order.html

Roger